Beginner. Need help please!!!

Nick8564

I am new into the DCC world. Where is the best place to buy a starting system and what brand? I won't be running more then 7-10 locos ever on this layout, atleast for a long time. If any one can tell me anything about brands and what i need or a good starter kit that includes a loco, that would be nice. Thanks

dwolson

Welcome to the DCC world. I am not a DCC expert by any means, but I have been using it for about 3 years now. There are a couple of questions that need to be answered. First, what is your budget for a DCC system? How big is your layout? How many throttles will you want down the road? Will you want wireless throttle capabilities? You said that you would run no more than 7-10 locos at a time; is that all separate locos or consists of 2 or 3? For a very basic starter DCC system and if you are not 100% sure you want to go the DCC route, I would look at the new Bachmann EZ-Command system. I just picked one up on ebay for $44.95. If you are sure that you want to use DCC and have a larger budget, you should try the Digitrax Zephyr (about $150) or the Lenz 90 or 100 (>$200). No one makes a true N-scale DCC starter set with a loco, so you will have to buy the loco separately. Atlas is the only N-scale manufacturer currently offering factory decoder-equipped locos and they make a wide variety of them. I have a few of them and they work just fine. New for a dealer, you can get an Atlas loco with a decoder for around $85-95.