Been Havin' Some Troubles

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi everyone!
I feel like I need to explain the fact that I haven't been posting a lot lately, & it seems like I haven't had much to share in the way of model building...:(
I guess I could also use any prayers or moral support you could throw my way...
3 years ago, I was diagnosed with a genetic eye disease...without boring you with all of the gory details, suffice it to say that while I'm not going totally blind, over the last 12 months or so, my vision has deteriorated to the point where it's starting to impede my model railroading abilities, & pehaps more importantly, impede my ability to make a living. I have been making some preparations over the last couple of years in regards to retirement, & while this may not be an easy transition, it is at least doable in the near future...
I am not however, a quitter!
I have no plans now, or for the future, for laying down & giving up! I plan to go on with enjoyiong my life to the fullest extent I can! And that includes model railroading!
I just find myself kinda down & out about it at times, & seeing as how I feel a close kinship with all you good folks, I thought I'd unburden myself a little, & ask that you simply say a prayer for me if you would.
Thanks!
I'll keep you posted! :)

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Charlie, my heart goes out to you my friend. I'm just glad you have that good old American "get up and go" attitude and won't just sit around and mope about it.
But hey, you have some ways to go yet and whereas you might diminish your modelling (or go for G-gauge :) ) you have friends and family you can direct (when the time comes) as to what pics to take and how to take them.
In the meantime, do all the things you always wished you would do, like driving to those places you love and adding to all the memories you will carry with you forever.
I can tell you, retirement ain't half bad either!:) :) .
You can bet the farm on me saying a word or two to the "Big Yin" for you!
I don't suppose a bottle of "The Good Stuff" would go amiss right now huh? (guaranteed to bring a smile to your face :) )

God bless you Charlie and our best wishes to you.

Errol

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
You and yours will be in our Prayers Charlie, keep looking up my friend.
Gonna have 1/2 a knee replacement next year left one:( I am just about doing my job, but I think I will come off sick for a week or so, dam pain gets a bit much:mad:
After sitting down for just two hours(bus driving) I cannot use the leg for a couple of min`s or so then it`s a hobbling I go!!!
Enough all ready about that &^%(&^%(%(.
I do hope you can still manage to model a bit we all need that,, it`s ,,,,, well what we do!:p

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Charlie it goes without saying you will be in my thoughts and prayers my friend! ;) With your visual problems it makes it even more amazing what you have accomplished in n-scale!!!!!! :cool: You can always give your eyes a break and check out some of that neat On30 stuff :D . If there is anything I can do you know how to reach me!!! I have gotten alot of experience with medical disability and early retirement lately as you know.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Charlie,

You have been an inspiration for others and for me in particular. I have always looked forward to your posts, pictures and comments. You have always been there with a word of praise for others and have made wothrwhile suggestions when asked. You have provided this forum with quality, both in workmanship and as a person. There should be no doubt that we will all be here for you in whatever way you need, be it a word of support or a prayer.

Best of luck, where there's a will, there's a way.

Don

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
As a person who's...

...too cool to care, I am with ya Charlie. I don't see so good and having gone through a layoff for a year after 9/11- using all my cash reserves trying to survive 'till I got this job from hell...

No one seems to notice that my old glasses, way out of date are broken- the earpiece snapped off when they fell a couple of weeks ago. The arm makes it's way to just under my hairline and no one knows that I am too broke to buy new glasses. It's okay though- I need to take them off to see anything N-scale which I model!:D

I hope I never get old and if my family genetics kick in, please be gentle when kicking the dirt in!

My moral support would be, "Give 'em hell Charlie". Don't give up without a fight and make eveyone else miserable (;) they like it).

Mark :cool:

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks so much folks...for everything!
Just reading this has lifted my spirits immencly!
You people have never failed to come through with words of kindness, & inspiration...& these replies prove it!
Thanks again!

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Charlie, please include me in the folks that will recount you and your family in my thoughts. I guess I'm still one of the new guys but I've never felt like an outsider. I could not agree more with Errol and hope you get to do everything you want to before things get any worse(which we all hope never happens). Good luck and I hope retirement agrees with you. Pat

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Charlie... I know what you are going through. You are 1/2 way through the difficulty now.. Focus on the Positive, Never the negative. I've been Diabetic for almost 4 years now and it took a long time to re-program myself to think this way. I surround myself with those that wil increase my positive attitide and completly ignore those that don't.

If you yourself want to move up to a larger scale, remember - That's why I'm into G now. I don't have the eyesight (getting old) or patience for those smaller scales anymore. :( G fits my attitude perfectly and that's what you can decide on when you are ready.

Simply put: when you are ready - you will decide what you want to do next. No one or nobody but you can choose to be upbeat or be beaten.

As was said before... just allow us the chance to help & we will...

Best of luck!!!! :)

~~ Mikey

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Charlie, I never woulda guessed, judging by the fine work you produce! I've always admired it. I'll certainly keep you in my prayors, good friend. I hate to hear about fellow gaugers falling ill, or down on their luck, but I always feel honored that you folks share your troubles with all of us. Thank you Charlie, for all you have shared with us. ;)

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Hang in there buddy.
Sounds like you have the right attitude.
It's been almost 10 years since I was forced into early retirement due to carpal tunnel surgery gone wrong on both hands. It will take some getting used to, just keep the faith and that positive attitude and your going to be fine.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Tough times Charlie but you have a very stong spirit that will stand you in good stead. You can count on all of us for whatever support you may need. I retired earlier than I really wanted to but today I am very greatfull for the life I have. As the saying goes, how did we ever find the time to go to work. Life becomes a lot simpler and less stressfull.
Our prayers are with you.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Charlie, so sorry to hear of your eye trouble. My vision ain't so great either, but only because of age, I guess. Had detached retinas in both eyes several years ago, the possibility of going blind then depressed me very much. My friends Jim and Blake are both excellent modelers and when they bring over some new project I have to remove my glasses and get my face within inches in order to be able to see the details. I do the best I can with my own work and no longer worry about how it compares to others. Heck, I can't even see some of the beautiful work others do, much less match it. You are one of the nicest people I've met on the net and I hope everything works out well for you.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Comfort and Prayers to ALL of you with the various problems
mentioned as this post goes along. Times do get hard, but it
makes the good ones stand out more.
I myself am not looking forward to the years ahead. At 33 I've
already had major open-heart surgery (2yrs. old- removed muscle
from blocked chamber) and had major spinal surgery (30yrs. old-
removed deterating vertabrate, gave me metal parts). Oh...and
I've had glasses since age 8. The old frame running down in the
upper years is not looking good to me. :rolleyes:

Oh well! Maybe by than I can get a rocket chair, rather than a
rocking chair. :p ;)

Peirce

Dec 28, 2000
Southbury, CT, USA
www.geocities.com
Charlie, I'm with you all the way. The strong determination you have demonstrated will get you through. Of course, it helps to have a group such as this behind you. It worked for me when I was diagnosed with cancer almost two years ago (its just about totally gone, now) and when my wife had major surgery two months ago (had to have 9-inches of her aorta replaced do to an aneurysm. She is well on her way to recovery.)