Beach Railroad, ver. 2.0

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Thanks Mike, Ken, RC, Jim, Fred, and Screwy for your kind words and great naming suggestions! Ken, I like the logo. That would look good on a boxcar.

RC, I tried for a long time to come up with a plan that I liked for a big layout, but never could get it off the ground. It seemed the answer for me was to go smaller. Just pick a few things and do them. Maybe I just got so burned out with planning that I forgot how fun it is to actually build something. Now, I may one day build that larger layout, but there's still plenty to do on this one.

I'm glad that all of you have enjoyed the layout and have gotten some inspiration from it. There's more to come...
:wave:
John

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Progress

Made some more progress on the beach railroad. Looks like the DOT has had a contractor out doing some resurfacing and striping on US 98. I hope they'll put up some signs and guardrail at that turn. Someone could get quite a surprise if they're not paying attention. :eek:

I don't know how the highway rides, but the Kato Unitrack and the Atlas RS-1 make for a smooth ride on the railroad.

That station needs some work - painting or at least weathering. It's a Bachmann pre-built straight out of the box. And, no the town is not going to be named "Sunnyvale." I also added some more foliage and telephone poles.

John
:wave:

Attachments

• Mvc-020s.jpg
    Mvc-020s.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 255
  • Mvc-017s.jpg
    Mvc-017s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 259

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Yet another update...

I've been working on the "town" side of the layout - adding foliage and signs. Here are some pictures.

John :wave:

Attachments

• Mvc-002s.jpg
    Mvc-002s.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Mvc-004s.jpg
    Mvc-004s.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Mvc-005s.jpg
    Mvc-005s.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 208

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
SS, here's your overlook. Over the weekend, I moved the layout to another side of the room and put it on its own legs. The PR department thought this would be a good move since it freed up the card table and some floor space.

John

Attachments

• Mvc-032s.jpg
    Mvc-032s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Mvc-031s.jpg
    Mvc-031s.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 169

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Since it is hurricane season, I thought it would be prudent to put down some rip-rap to keep the tracks from washing away. You can't be too careful!

I used aquarium gravel from Wal-Mart. Got way more than I'll ever need for about $3. For N-scale, you'll get some boulders, which will be just what you need to keep the ocean at bay (no pun intended) :D .

John

Attachments

• Mvc-017s.jpg
    Mvc-017s.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 214