Beach Railroad, ver. 2.0

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
I've started work on a 2'4" X 4' layout. This will be a seaside layout similar to the one I posted pictures of in the Pictures of Old Layout thread. I missed the colors of the old layout. :(

Benchwork consists of a frame of 1X3's with a 1/4" plywood floor. Two layers of 1/2" blue foam cover the plywood and form the basic scenery. The track plan is a simple loop using Kato Unitrack.

Attachments

• Mvc-015s.jpg
    Mvc-015s.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 701
  • Mvc-016s.jpg
    Mvc-016s.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 696
F

Fred_M

I'm glad to see you do this, I liked your old one. :thumb: FRED

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Sand Dunes

Here is a cut through the sand dunes. The foreman hopes to get some vegetation established soon so that maybe he won't have to keep digging out the track where the dunes have drifted in.

I used Great Stuff to form the dunes. When it hardens, I cut and shape the dunes and then cover them with joint compound.
John

Attachments

• Mvc-029s.jpg
    Mvc-029s.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 621

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Looks like you got a very nice beachfront property started.
:thumb: :thumb:
Hey! That's what the beach 'round my way looks.
'Round her if'n ya' mess with the Sea Oats you get time in the pokey. :eek:
Sooo... the beaches (that arn't wall-to-wall bikini's) are all grassy-like.
Kinda nice at times. Gives a feel of being on an remote island.
Till the ankle biters come 'round with their rice burners thump'n. :mad:

P.S.- Some of those lil' suits are on VERY large bodies. Yuch! :eek: :eek:ops:

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
:wave:
Thanks everybody for the encouraging words! Sir Prize, you have hit the nail on the head. If there were a prototype for this railroad, it would be up the coast and around the big bend from you in Northwest Florida. And, yes, I'm planning to have sea oats, too.

RC, this one's going to have a seaside town, too. I haven't started that part, yet, but I've got one side of the layout "reserved."

More to come...
John

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Foliage

OK, here's what it looks like now. Got some green stuff growing; got the place for the bridge cut out; and I'm waiting for the plaster to dry so I can finish painting the water.

Mike, don't forget your sunblock! :D
John

Attachments

• Mvc-010s.jpg
    Mvc-010s.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 520

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
b28_82 said:
I know you could call it Pensacola. Or you could stretch it and call it Navarre/ Navarre beach.

Yes, indeed! I haven't nailed it down exactly, but I'm thinking that this railroad might be a branch of the L&N or Frisco from Pensacola.

Well, the plaster's dry, so out comes the paintbrush. A visiting railfan took a helicopter ride to get this picture.

Attachments

• Mvc-011s.jpg
    Mvc-011s.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 365

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
An update...

I've added some streets and tentatively set up buildings. Still need to add trees, figures, more foliage, and a gloss coat for the water. Even a small layout takes a lot of work. :D But, I have really enjoyed working on it. It's been like a breath of fresh air for my hobby.

I'm trying to think up a name for this "empire." Here's a list of names I've been considering:
Pensacola and Eastern
Pensacola, Navarre, and Gulf
Seaside and Destin
Pensacola, Panama City, and Port St Joe (try putting that on a boxcar!)
Ft Walton and Western

If you have any other suggestions, let's hear 'em. Meanwhile, I'll be catching some rays. :cool:
John

Attachments

• Mvc-003s.jpg
    Mvc-003s.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 337