Battlestar Galactica

cdwheatley

Apr 13, 2008
Waterlooville, Hampshire, England
Greetings! It's been a long, long time since I've built anything or posted any photos on here, but I've recently got back into the hobby and have just completed my first card model since the end of 2010 (the Star Wars Imperial Star Destroyer).

I therefore present to you the Battlestar Galactica, from the original series:-

Image001.jpg

Image004.jpg

Image005.jpg

Image007.jpg

Image012.jpg

I have to say that this model was an absolute joy to build. Everything fitted together perfectly and it went together with no problems at all. As you can see I added all of the 'optional' greebles and nurnies to the engine section, this was the trickiest part of the build actually! Congratulations and thanks to Gearz, the designer, for making this model available
smile.gif

The model also came with a custom stand, but I can see no way to successfully place the Galactica on it. It just seems too small to support such a large model (19 inches in length), and even when I do manage it the model is only balanced very precariously on top:-

Image028.jpg

You can find the link to view some more photos on my website.

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Great job! This has to one of the most squared up and plumb ones I've seen! Thanks for reloading it, you can load really big ones, and more, so we can see it better. ;)

Reactions: cdwheatley

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Nice job! I've built this one myself, it is a very nice model to build & looks good. What I did for strength was to cut into the end panels of each component, slide a flat piece of wood/cardboard at the top & bottom of the centre section & glue. This prevents any "drooping" from the engines or bow section. The bonus is it gives strength to glue it to the stand.

If you don't want to glue it then it is a balancing act I'm afraid :(

cdwheatley

Apr 13, 2008
Waterlooville, Hampshire, England
Thank you very much for all the positive feedback :). I must admit I'm really pleased with how it turned out, especially after such a long time since I completed my last model. It's also one of the cleanest models I've ever built :).

I very nearly didn't add all the extra detailing to the engine section, as I discovered it would be impossible to get all of the little bits and pieces to lie flat due to the 'drooping' effect described by Cybergrinder above. So what I did was to reprint the top and bottom pieces of the engine section, cut them to size, and glue the greebles and nurnies onto them first. That way I could make sure I was glueing them to a perfectly flat surface so I could get some nice tight joins between the pieces. When all of them were glued into place I simply stuck the copied parts on top of the originals, but only around the edges.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanBKing

DanBKing

Dan the Man
Feb 29, 2012
Netherlands
Nice varied collection there @cdwheatley thumbsup

The Galactica by Gearz was the first paper model I ever built, to test my skills and learn the art of paper modelling.........
Unfortuantly, it got destroyed in a house move about a month after I built it........ :(

I'm gonna build it again one day and greeble the hell out of it ...! :D :D ;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You could post a pic of each of those models if you wish, they look great!! The Corsair A7 (Jet) is one of my favorite planes

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
This is a great collection! Excellent work. Funny to see all these ships in a "reziproke scale diorama", so-to-speak (the largest ship is the smallest and vice versa) ;) .

Reactions: zathros