Battlestar Galactica: Open Troop Transport "OTT"

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
One of the most interesting ground vehicles shown in the classic series is undoubtedly the hovercraft car used by Hector & Vector on the planet Paradeen. Strangely it never has gotten an official name in the show and not even the omniscient www does reveal a proper designation of the craft. So @Rhaven Blaack had the idea to call it the "Open Troop Transport" or in short, "OTT". This is low it looks:

VIDEO_TS (title 2 ch 6 frame 101635).jpg VIDEO_TS (title 0 ch 0 frame 12028).jpg
sources: BSG & Buck Rogers DVD box sets, Universal

The car premiered in the episode "Greetings From Earth" and was re-used several times on "Buck Rogers" in various decorations. So far I have counted four canon different colour schemes (light brown, blue, gold and dark rust). Apparently there was a golf cart underneath.

This one has been on my list for quite some time. Since I'm sort of a vehicle trip these days I have decided to show you some WIPs of the project I've been working off and on since last year.

Getting the shape right is truly a bitch. The first attempt failed gloriously. I tried to use the Match Photo function of SketchUp but apparently I was not using it correctly because I ended up with a completely unuseful 2D drawing. Other attempts failed as well and the project was buried in its folder.

Yesterday I decided to take another shot at it and traced the side outlines using a screenshot from the Terra episode. That went - surprisingly well. Sometimes it is good to start fresh after a pause.

ott1.jpg

I know, it's far from perfect, but I will continue. I don't know how long it will take but I'll keep you posted. CU! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
This is the original one from BSG. The EDD version actually has two colours, that "blurple" of the Draconian on the top, gold on the bottom. The vehicle was painted completely gold before that episode and obviously there was still some spray-paint left from painting the Draconian Rover, so Hartland made a little "combination". ;)

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
This is the original one from BSG. The EDD version actually has two colours, that "blurple" of the Draconian on the top, gold on the bottom. The vehicle was painted completely gold before that episode and obviously there was still some spray-paint left from painting the Draconian Rover, so Hartland made a little "combination". ;)

That is too cool! Love the historical annotation.

Sky Seeker
:tank:

Reactions: Joseph Vogt

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Excellent start. I wonder why the writers of these shows always considered wheels to be obsolete, when in fact, they could have made wheeled vehicles with wild suspension systems, and still make the look modern. Wheels will be around for a very long time!!! :)