Battlestar Galactica models?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by doc_harvey, Apr 10, 2005.

1. FlyGuy

FlyGuy New Member

Hi everybody! Newbie here...

Just wondering Gearz, how's the 'ol Gal coming? I'm dying to try my hand at this one! I've built lhvcc's Viper - my 2nd paper modelling attempt, and I can't wait to get my hands on the Galactica!

By the way, Your design looks great! When I get some free time (Don't hold your breath, I just got married and bought a house!), I might just try learning some new skills to help complete the BSG fleet - I haven't seen a Basestar model out there yet... And then there's the new series... Hmmm...
  2. Gearz

Gearz Member

Arrrrhh...this is turning into a trip to the dentist!. Just as well I'm not getting paid or I'd be on the street by now.
    Excuses excuses excuses. Mostly time ~ I hadn't accounted for parallax error in the photos, so some panels require a lot of smaller pix stitched together. Guess I've shot my deadline in the foot, but I figure I'm safe, most of you would have to swim a hell of a long way to throw rocks at my house. Revised deadline ?+ a..week

On the happy happy joy joy side, she's starting to look real good, and thanks to the tips from you guys, I've learn more on this one project than all the rest put together. Thank you..

So.. the plot so far..
    Typically I've discovered near the end of the project, how handy the [clone object] [create symmetry] feature in META can be. I've used it plenty of times before, thought I didn't realise it cloned and mirrored the textures as well ~ DoooooH. So that's cut out any texturing that can be mirrored. It looks like a bit of a patch work at present, I'll do all the colour correction on the textures in a bitmap editor once their in place on the model. The only bits that are of concern are the engine recesses.. Hot = white, but that looked dumb... then I change it to orange, now blue ???? any suggestions? cold engines Black??

allll mooooost thereeeeee... :roll:

~ ekuth ~ yip yip yowlll yelp.. Hooooooooowwllll...
    ~ Howdy FlyGuy.. Welcome! I've got several 3d meshes of the TOS Cylon Basestar, if you'd like them ~ when you ramp your skills set and tackle it. Don't think there's one out there yet..

:-D

Attached Files:

3. Gearz

Gearz Member

oooppps... the engine colour at present...
    :???:

Attached Files:

4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

5. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Wow Gearz! Looking sweet. I'll ease up on the lash a little.

I see what you mean about the engines... hmmm. I'd say black for the 'dead engine' look. Or... have you tried deepening the gridwork to a darker shade of blue and trying a light pastel for the "glow"?

Alternately, make the gridwork black and use blue for the glow?

Just some thoughts.
  6. stagecoach

stagecoach Member

engine

my idea is to show the grid distorted and also the center of engine should not show grid at all as if it is in flight build a glow of gradient blues and white to give it that effect of burning.:twisted:
  7. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks guys, I'll have a quick play around with your suggestions, If I can't decide on a winner, there's always 'options' the parts are small enough to provide a choice of engines.

Sitrep ~ I've pinched, punched, poked, hammered, stitched and threatened the reference pictures into all of the necessary textures, so their 'doin all the right things, in all the right places' ~ mostly. Just a bit of tweaking to do in a few spots. The delays (besides the lack of time) are coming from unexpected quarters ~ my dumb equipment, with all the textures loaded up, my systems is choking, so i'm having problems working the complete model. Also the textures have made some of the fold lines ambiguous, which req some extra guides on the parts. I'm Loath to give another finish time, but for those of you tapping your fingers, its down to REAL soon! I've finished the Bridge module + assembly guide, ~ putting a little extra in the AG's as per Steve's build reports ~ for all skill levels.

You can see parallax error has raised its ugly head on some of the textures (bottom of the LB's) looks worse in the sreencap than it does on the tex. ~ galmidseclaunchbaysbottomstarboardfinalV9.jpg *sigh*
  8. Gearz

Gearz Member

Thanks guys, I'll have a quick play around with your suggestions, If I can't decide on a winner, there's always 'options' the parts are small enough to provide a choice of engines.

Sitrep ~ I've pinched, punched, poked, hammered, stitched and threatened the reference pictures into all of the necessary textures, so their 'doin all the right things, in all the right places' ~ mostly. Just a bit of tweaking to do in a few spots. The delays (besides the lack of time) are coming from unexpected quarters ~ my dumb equipment, with all the textures loaded up, my systems is choking, so i'm having problems working the complete model. Also the textures have made some of the fold lines ambiguous, which req some extra guides on the parts. I'm Loath to give another finish time, but for those of you tapping your fingers, its down to REAL soon! I've finished the Bridge module + assembly guide, ~ putting a little extra in the AG's as per Steve's build reports ~ for all skill levels.

You can see parallax error has raised its ugly head on some of the textures (bottom of the LB's) looks worse in the sreencap than it does on the tex. ~ galmidseclaunchbaysbottomstarboardfinalV9.jpg *sigh*

Attached Files:

9. Gearz

Gearz Member

Last 3D pic, the next post with be the finished goods..:-D
  10. Gearz

Gearz Member

Last 3D pic, the next post with be the finished goods..:-D

Attached Files:

11. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Tic Tock... Tic Tock...

*taps watch* :wink:
  12. ekuth

ekuth Guest

Tic Tock... Tic Tock...

*taps watch* :wink:
  13. dolphinops

dolphinops New Member

Gearz,
    I've been off the net for a Month or two now.
    I have missed a lot.
    She's looking good.
    Excellent work dude!
  14. dolphinops

dolphinops New Member

Gearz,
    I've been off the net for a Month or two now.
    I have missed a lot.
    She's looking good.
    Excellent work dude!
  15. stagecoach

stagecoach Member

Galactica Model

It's looking really great:grin: I thought I was looking at some of the graphics I sent you. I hope you got them in a safe place cause my hard drive died and I lost them all.:( I saved all my papercraft models:) but forgot to save my graphics.:cry:
    Oh well as I said many times before "Sometimes life S...s :lol: " Then we have papercraft models to fall back on.:cool:
    I'm waiting intentively for my copy of the model.
  16. stagecoach

stagecoach Member

Galactica Model

It's looking really great:grin: I thought I was looking at some of the graphics I sent you. I hope you got them in a safe place cause my hard drive died and I lost them all.:( I saved all my papercraft models:) but forgot to save my graphics.:cry:
    Oh well as I said many times before "Sometimes life S...s :lol: " Then we have papercraft models to fall back on.:cool:
    I'm waiting intentively for my copy of the model.
  17. Gearz

Gearz Member

Reeally soon!

Hey guys thanks for the encouragement ~ it worked

My bits done, the final release is in the hands of the instigator and facilitator for the final nod ( hahahaa.. no pressure there guys) just in case I've screwed up the bitmaps etc. I guess most developers are never completely happy with the finished goods, though, for a first edition I'd recon it'll build into a nice model. I didn't have time for a stand unfortunately, maybe someone will help out there.

Hey Stagecoach..? yep got the ref material you sent, sounds like you didn't get my email. I can relate to your HD problems, my box is on its last legs also.. kind of surprised it lasted this far. If you'd like to replace your BSG ref, I'll zip it all up and send it to you..?
    :)
  18. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

Paperworlds.com in their DL section under vehicles has the New Cylon Basestar.
  19. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

Couldn't find the Basestar...there's about 12 different "vehicles" sectionin the DL areas...:(
  20. rickstef

rickstef Guest