Status
Not open for further replies.

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
Latest beta build results

Hey Gearz (and other interested parties),

Here are my latest beta build results. This is for the latest Bridge and LB versions. I'll insert several pictures below. My camera is on vacation with my wife so I'm using my PC camera - sorry about the quality.

Bridge - assembled as per your guide and all went smoothly except I slipped up and glued 8b and 9b in step three instead of just checking fit. I'd advise adding a trailer there - check the fit into parent parts, but do not glue. Having them glued into place too early made it tougher in step 4. This is more likely to trip up intermediate or experienced builders who pay less attention to the instructions. Novices would likely be more careful.

Center section, LB arms, LB's Assembly sequence

o Assembled the main box for the center section.
o Assembled the LB braces - need to be careful to keep these straight when you glue them - any twist or warp in them tends to get transfered to the finished LB.
o Assembled LB body and inserted braces. I put a dab of glue at each end of the braces to hold them in position.
o I then assembled the end caps for the LB's.
When assembling the end caps that have the landing bay inserts don't glue the bottom until you glue in the landing bay insert as shown here

LB Assembly 03.JPG

Make sure you test fit the insert - the tabs were oversize and needed to be trimmed down to fit properly.
o Glue the endcaps to the LB arms.
o Cut and assemble the LB arms
o Glue the front and rear LB arms into position
o Glue the "bumps" into position and insert the crosspiece (warrior companion way).
You should have something like this:
LB Assembly 04a.JPG

o Glue the LB into place on one side. Pay attention to which end is which - the crosspiece is towards the front of the ship, the landing bay opening is towards the rear. I wasn't paying attention and glued the LB's on backwards (but at least I did them both the same so they match :roll: )
o Slide the crosspiece into position and glue the one end.
LB Assembly 08.JPG

o Attach the other LB arm gluing the front and rear arms and crosspice all at once.
LB Assembly 09.JPG

o Using the crosspiece as a guide for the position, glue the center LB arms into place.
o Voila! The center section is done.
LB Assembly 10.JPG

Gearz,
Comments and gotcha's.

1 - The only issue I had with the bridge section was the very front - it didn't close up quite cleanly. Very careful fitting and placement of all parts is required to get a good clean fit up front. Other than that the bridge module looks good to me. Seems to be sturdy enough, and the detailing is coming along nicely.
2 - When I printed the patterns the LB braces at the bottom of pages 1 and 5 got cut off at the bottom.
3 - A very small piece of the tab at the left end of the second lb arm on page 5 also got cut off.
4 - The tabs on the LB insert are slightly big as noted above. It's easy to misjudge the size - stress test fitting these in the instructions.
5 - Also the note from above about gluing LB's on backwards - easy to do if you're me, I'm sure others have the same concern.

Other comments:

I'd be curious to hear what others think of the size - The first beta I did seemed a bit too small, this one almost seems a bit too big. The bridge and center section come out at about 16 inches long, so with the engines in place the whole thing would be about 20 inches. If I recall correctly, the first beta came out at about 15 inches overall. Seems to me something in between would be best - say about 18 inch overall.

Using the sequence above the entire center section went together without a hitch. The LB braces seem to work very well, although as noted any misalignment transfers to the finished LB.

I'll insert some reference pics in a moment, but your new center LB arms stray from the original design and no longer really match the plastic kit I have. They should be more blocky and less tapered. Also, if you look at the reference shots below you'll notice that the warrior companion way is not a separate piece - it's solid all the way across. I never noticed that on the last build. Not sure if it's important, just something I noticed this time.

The center LB arms in your current version glue to the top of the LB module. In the earlier version, and in the plastic kit they connect in exactly the same way as the front and rear arms.

LB Arms Ref02.JPG

LB Arms Ref04.JPG

LB Arms Ref03.JPG

The image below shows the mid and front LB arm. The front is to the right in this photo.
LB Arms Ref05.JPG

There you have it. So far so good. I'm looking forward to doing another build of the entire ship.

Gotta go start a test build of the Aurora now....

Steve

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Thanks for the efforts Steve, I can see most of your points, I'll assimilate your report and get to work, think I can cover most of your recommendations. The Bridge nose is a bit worrying I'll have another look at it. Size is no problem, in fact smaller may prove to be easier to build.

When you have the Op, here's V2 of the Engine module. This little bugger has proved to a bit of a pain. Inline with your suggestions Its been considerably redesigned from the first version. I've sliced the thing a dozen different ways, most of them less than ideal. They all looked great in 3D, practicality ?? I've gone for a version that, hopefully, will be build-able by all skill levels.

Biggest concerns ~

To cover a bunch of potential 'shape' problems, the rear panel + engine ports, insert/slides into the casing as a single unit ~ I'm hoping there'll be enough 'give' in the casing to allow the flaps to be glued in place.

Also, to avoid complex internal bracing to maintain the 'trench', I've converted it into four 'shoulder' parts (upper and lower on both sides) that attach after the casing / form is closed. You'll see my line of thought on the Ag gfx,~ all four parts attach with a combination of interlocking flaps, butt joins and overlaping Panels. The overlapping panels top and bottom are a weird shape ~ they conform to the ducting / piping detail to be added later. Probably require careful pre-shaping test fitting ??? On the Up side, if they work, the module will probably be a solid as a rock.

Gal_betaV2engine

Btw If you've just tuned it, or checking back. This model is being developed in collaboration with the fine ppl here at CMnet ~ I'm making the mistakes and the others guys are finding them out. A big thank you to all those that have offered assistance and suggestion. We're not far from completion, after this modules has been test built and corrects incorporated, textures and detail parts will be added and a final release offered here ~ until we find a permanent home for it.

Current files

Gal_BetaV3bridge

Gal_betaV2mid requires correction.

Gal_betaV2engine

:)

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Galactica Textures update

I've abandoned the textures files I was working on, in favour of a variation on jleslie48's suggestion. Thanks to dolphinops link ( Jim Creveling's model) I have reference pix covering most of the Galactica = convert them to 3d textures. So... this is a texture test using the Engine module, definitely looking promising...

texupdate1.jpg

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
SCREEEEEEEEECCCHH! Just finished watching the series on DVD!

I've spotted several minor differences that can be altered on the model without a revised version, BUT our beta Bridge module is notably different from the Series version. ~ The side panels = broader and higher up on the form = lower hull shape deeper. ~ The upper hull and nose terminate at considerably different angles to the shape we are working on = The Series model's nose is broader, deeper. Damn! Guess we're not really going for studio accuracy, your call Doc! ~ to minor, or go for V4 ?

~ Btb, Steve the warrior companion way is separate.

Yep Stev0, The textures are looking really nice, most of them Hi-res. With Steve's reference shots of his model and the Creveling shots, I should be able to MacGyver together a Hi-res coat of paint.

On a different note, I've managed to...errr.. peeve quite a few ppl that aren't members here, by leaving dead links all over the place. I've found a temp home for some models, Its not ideal for a beta build (no external links). Pretty much got my marching orders from my current server anyway, so all of the Galactica beta files will be posted there until its done.

Galactica Beta Files

:)

doc_harvey

Mar 14, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
virb.com
Studio accuracy...

I think that any reasonable facsimile of the Galactica is perfect. I don't think you should worry too much about her being "studio perfect". I'm really excited about seeing the "painted" version.

sjsquirrel

Feb 9, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
stevebondy.ca
Engine Beta V2

Hey Gearz,

Here's my notes and recommendations after building the latest engine module. It's kind of frustrating. I actually had to build it 3 times to get something I was reasonably satisfied with and there are still a few rough spots, but I think the adjustments below will take care of them. A picture being worth a whole bunch of words....

Gal_BetaV2EngineNotes.jpg

And

Gal_BetaV2EngineNotes2.jpg

And

Gal_BetaV2EngineNotes3.jpg

In the picture above I'm thinking something similar to the inserts you have on the LB modules. Just a little something to help stiffen it up.

That's it for now. Next build will be the whole ship when you have it ready. I'll be busy with other projects in the meantime.

Regards,

Steve

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Excellent! Thanks for all the assistance Steve, I'll just nip off and incorporate the changes, finish the textures and she'll be done.

:-D

stagecoach

Aug 24, 2006
New Hampshire
johns-shipyard.tripod.com
Battlestar Galactica Photos

Hi Gearz,

I have been collecting images for years and saving them. Well I just happened to like the old TV series so much that I have downloaded many High Resilution images from a fan site, They contain the main ship in many views, also many Viper images and a Cylon base ship. I also have a photo of a gentleman who is carving the Galactica out of wood. If you are still interested in collecting images let me know. And I could send them out to you.
John

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Hey John

Thanks for the offer ~ YES PLEASE! I'm struggling to keep the textures uniform using ref shots I have at the moment ( different sizes, resolutions, oblique angles, different colours etc) So any reference shots of the Galactica I can get my hands on will be a big help.

I have a great mesh of the TOS Base star that I'm grooming as well ~ So any ref shots of it would also be appreciated.

Thanks for the assistance John! sent you a PM with contact info.

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
I'm sorry the progress on the Galactica has been slow, a whole bunch of stuff is getting in the way. Not to mention the "OOoo.. that's shiny" factor ( potential new subjects ).
I've set myself a deadline for the end of the month, give or take.

E

ekuth

MUSH! MUSH! No rest for the wicked!~ :wink:

Really looking forward to this build.

FlyGuy

Sep 26, 2006
Portland, Or. USA
Hi everybody! Newbie here...

Just wondering Gearz, how's the 'ol Gal coming? I'm dying to try my hand at this one! I've built lhvcc's Viper - my 2nd paper modelling attempt, and I can't wait to get my hands on the Galactica!

By the way, Your design looks great! When I get some free time (Don't hold your breath, I just got married and bought a house!), I might just try learning some new skills to help complete the BSG fleet - I haven't seen a Basestar model out there yet... And then there's the new series... Hmmm...

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
Arrrrhh...this is turning into a trip to the dentist!. Just as well I'm not getting paid or I'd be on the street by now.
Excuses excuses excuses. Mostly time ~ I hadn't accounted for parallax error in the photos, so some panels require a lot of smaller pix stitched together. Guess I've shot my deadline in the foot, but I figure I'm safe, most of you would have to swim a hell of a long way to throw rocks at my house. Revised deadline ?+ a..week

On the happy happy joy joy side, she's starting to look real good, and thanks to the tips from you guys, I've learn more on this one project than all the rest put together. Thank you..

So.. the plot so far..
Typically I've discovered near the end of the project, how handy the [clone object] [create symmetry] feature in META can be. I've used it plenty of times before, thought I didn't realise it cloned and mirrored the textures as well ~ DoooooH. So that's cut out any texturing that can be mirrored. It looks like a bit of a patch work at present, I'll do all the colour correction on the textures in a bitmap editor once their in place on the model. The only bits that are of concern are the engine recesses.. Hot = white, but that looked dumb... then I change it to orange, now blue ???? any suggestions? cold engines Black??

allll mooooost thereeeeee... :roll:

~ ekuth ~ yip yip yowlll yelp.. Hooooooooowwllll...
~ Howdy FlyGuy.. Welcome! I've got several 3d meshes of the TOS Cylon Basestar, if you'd like them ~ when you ramp your skills set and tackle it. Don't think there's one out there yet..

Attachments

• galprog76.jpg
    galprog76.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 510

Gearz

Mar 13, 2006
OZ
oooppps... the engine colour at present...
:???:

Attachments

• galprog77.jpg
    galprog77.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 508
Status
Not open for further replies.