Battlestar Galactica: Andrew Probert's Triangle Ship

blake7

Again I am amazed at you ability to multi-task so many projects, and they all look fantastic! Just like this one, which looks like it it is going to make a great model.:Congrats::Bravo:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not only that, it will be very simple and beginner-friendly. :)

It has been on my list for quite some time now.

Since the original filming miniature was only 6 x 7.5" I'll be keeping that size, so this will be another studio-scale model. ;)

BTW, because of the simple shape I call CG modeling done.

ts4.jpg

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Looking good! Now if this is when the finger's fly, what happens if you really work at it? :) (models comparable to UHU02?... )

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
LOL! That's a good one, CG! :D

Naw, I'm much too lazy to compete with anyone. :p Speaking of that, @DanBKing , @starbuck , @ASC Mclaren : Would anyone of you please whip me back on track with the Viper? ;)

Seriously: That model is REALLY simple. The main reason why I was so fast with this one is I have found some great reference pictures which show every panel from a straight-on POV. I started with the bottom, added the side walls and then literally wrapped the top around them.

Normally I would start with a geometric figure such as a box shape. I would then cut and push / pull it to shape and continue with the next element. In this case I worked with faces only, something I have never done before. So after the bottom was cut out I added a face to one of the sides, applied the texture and cut it to shape. Then I proceeded with the next side panel until everything was complete. Last I duplicated the bottom face, moved it above the model, reverted the face and added the top texture. Then I drew several lines where the top would bend and connected each face with the neighbouring face of the side panels. It worked so great that this one is by far the fastest model I designed so far. The only component which was created "traditionally" was the cockpit. :)

mcusanelli

This looks really cool! And it looks like it would fit in nicely with the new Galactica as well as the Buck Rogers models too.

ASC Mclaren

LOL! That's a good one, CG! :D

Naw, I'm much too lazy to compete with anyone. :p Speaking of that, @DanBKing , @starbuck , @ASC Mclaren : Would anyone of you please whip me back on track with the Viper? ;)

Speaking of this awesome project, I really need to see a 1:18 TOS Viper to compare to the Thunderfighter. Maybe more then one. Maybe Green Squadron, maybe Blue squadron, or Black squadron. OH, a Scot contingent? Black Watch, or Campbell of Argyle? Imaging a picture of Buck, Wilma and Twiki having a fly in with Apollo and Starbuck? Imaging Starbuck cleaning up in a game of Pyramid because Buck doesn't know the rules. A race between the Thunderfighter and the Viper. Yes, the Viper will win by a yahren. But the point is: without the TOS Viper model all of these moment will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It is. With moving canopy. Removable landing gear. Maybe opening panel as seen in "Galactica 1980: Spaceball". Cylon detector and automatic ticket vaporizer. ;)

ASC Mclaren

Now I'm geeking out! That is the kind of detail one can find in a 1:18 model! :D

The challenge will be building the Helm at 0.055% to match the Viper.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A look at the skeleton. At this small size I'll have to see if it can be simplified a bit.

ts5.jpg

The main task is now making the texture. The pictures I applied to the faces only serve as an indicator of the position and shape of the greeblies. I'll have to redraw everything in CorelDRAW and add some weathering in Gimp. I guess this will become my standard way of procedure for these models. :)

This will take some time because there are MANY small pieces which have to be drawn. I'll keep you posted! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think this one will be the first to be released since it is the easiest of all of them. Sorry for not beginning with the Viper but I urgently need something to build! ;)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
we don't like waiting... but we will.
love how this is turning out.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you! :) BTW, I'm working on the Viper simultaneously but her texture still requires some time. Unless that task has not been accomplished I can't print and assemble anything... :bag:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The ship kind of reminds me of a thinner version of the Rescue ship that Ripley was found in the 2nd movie. Inside view of ship. :)

rip12.jpg