Battlemechs, a three-step project

Kakanian

Dec 13, 2010
My story is a bit eccecentric. I'm a Mecha-nerd at heart. I really like gigantic robots and yet I really don't want to let my nerdiness hang out too much and build those plastic-models that are available for very little money.
So I decided to start a long-term project and work towards making my own fully poseable gigantic Robot models out of paper. As they were to be my own for real, I picked robots from Battletech. I like the tabletop game, I liked the Universe and I knew that there were hundreds of 'em around nobody would ever bother to build. They also come in varying levels of difficulty, meaning that I would get to pick whatever model I fancied and could tackle at my level of skill and confidence.

The result for now was a series of three Battlemech, an original, a reimagined version and a fan-creation. I started out with a rather easy model, the Koschei

Snapshot_20101112_2.jpg

I didn't even have to make plans for most parts and it was more or less a proof-of-concept to see if office paper could actually be used to make working articulations.

Snapshot_20101118_2.jpg

I found that it works just fine. With that bit of knowledge, I tackled a reimagined Blackjack. Nobody likes the Blackjack and the original model does not look that hot either, so that suited me just fine.

Snapshot_20101117_2.jpg

I improved the articulations of the feet and legs and made the hips twistable, because that feature was rather essential in the computer games.

Snapshot_20101118_1.jpg

At last I searched for something that would finally get me to where I wanted to be. I found that in the Dart, a robot that is a fan-creation made by some artists on deviant.

Snapshot_20101206_1.jpg

Snapshot_20101210_3.jpg

Snapshot_20101213_1.jpg

Snapshot_20101213_2.jpg

Really, the only complaint I have is that it can't stand on its own anymore. But I think I will figure that problem out too somewhere in the future. Then I'll probably add all the details the three of them are currently missing too. They were meant as a proof-of-concept and to prop up my crumbling selfesteem and they do that job just fine enough without any more parts.