BattleField 2142 - L-5 Riesig

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaar

Mar 9, 2008
on the way blaar!

Thanks alot. I got it. Will start to re-work it (again :( ) but at least I know that it will be correct this time.

This is what I had up untill now :

As you can see the texture for the top is no where near in a good fit.

Attachments

• l5tex.jpg
    l5tex.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 47

AoM

Nov 18, 2008
i know what you mean stevo! but this game was money well spent for me.

these are the ones i was thinking of starting on.
View attachment 80336
Ooh, this is what I get for not paying any attention to PC games. That is gorgeous. If you do it in 1:33, I'd definitely be looking to shrink it a bit to use for some other projects. I'm jealous of the talent so many people here have.

blaar

Mar 9, 2008
I finally started working on the L5 again. I lost just about all my work but maybe that was a good thing. A lot of the parts did not look right but I think this time round it looks way better and should be quite easy to build. I am using the box method I learned to build mechs from shiftdel and the rest of the mech3.org community.

Constructing should be easy and hopefully all parts will fit. So basically build a lot of small boxes and glue them together. :)

I am going to try and make my own texture for this and I know it will not look good but I figured since I started the whole model from scratch and only using the in game model as reference I should try and make this my own. I will share the OBJ file if anyone ever wants to map the in game texture.

So here is the blank completed model. Next I must first import into pepa since I know pepa have issues with models from SU (corrupted faces etc) and redo any errors. After that I will try my hand at texturing and after that the unfolding and then the beta build. So still a long way off and I don't have allot of time so this is still loooooooooooooooong to its due date.

Attachments

• 3dL5.jpg
    3dL5.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 29
  • side_l5.jpg
    side_l5.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 32
  • rear_l5.jpg
    rear_l5.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 29

blaar

Mar 9, 2008
The model is done and I imported the blank into pepakura to check for errors and all is fine. So now into the next hurdle.

How and where does one start to create a texture. I want to try and use a camo scheme but if I apply the texture in SU it doesn't match up with the corners and doesn't flow into each other and one can clearly see a pattern mis match.

I was wondering if any one can help. I can supply a OBJ or MSQ file and then maybe can map the camo for me and save the model. But then I will also need a UV map to see where what part is going to fit. I will not need all the exact parts but mainly the bigger areas on the UV. Any help please.

I am a total noob and what I know about mapping is what I have read the past hour or so in google.

blaar

Mar 9, 2008
Thanks shiftdel. I have been in a mental craze and finally figured out how to make it look ok with most of the camo matching up. I am applying the tex in sketchup by using the project method and seems to work good. Only problem is I still need to add some details to the camo. But thanks again for your help.

So, how are you models comming along ?

Oh, and maybe any one can offer some help. I see that after even scaling the model up to about 22cm in hight the gatling gun parts is going to be very very very small. In fact so small it will not be buildable by the average joe. Any ideas on how I can maybe add in some alternative part for those less in skill like myself.

I am attaching a screenshot of pepa showing two of the parts on a A4 paper. As you can see it is tiny. I printed it and yep. It is small. Even those barrels are so small one can hardly see the fold/score lines.

Attachments

• l5_gatl.jpg
    l5_gatl.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 25

blaar

Mar 9, 2008
OK. Finally mapped the base camo texture I made. Think it came out ok'sh. Best I can do with my limited skills. Now I just have to add some details and decals and do the unfold work. :)

Attachments

• L5_tex.jpg
    L5_tex.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 27

blaar

Mar 9, 2008
Half way done with adding some detail to the main texture.

Attachments

• L5_tex.jpg
    L5_tex.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 24
  • L5_tex1.jpg
    L5_tex1.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 23

blaar

Mar 9, 2008
Have been hard at work since I am redoing the model from scratch. Just about all the dimentions was wrong and the model did not even look close to the ingame model. I forgot about the ingame model I recieved from another member a while back and rendered some views and have been using those for ref. Must say I am very happy so far and glad I decided on redoing the model.

The bottom torso or hip area has alot of more detail giving a much better look. The gun ontop is also much bigger in the game than the one I had. Looks better now.

Need to do the legs and feet then restart the texturing.

Attachments

• L5_3D.jpg
    L5_3D.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 25
  • L5_side.jpg
    L5_side.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 33
S

Soaring

I'm excited about this, I'm an avid 2142 player myself, and the walker has always been one of my favorites. However, I'm more of the reviver guy than a vehicle person :)

blaar

Mar 9, 2008
Finally done making the model. It has been slow going with me having to little time. Now onto making the texture.

This is the 3rd time I modeled the L5 from scratch and I think I am now happy with the looks and dimentions. It looks pretty close to the ingame model I think.

Attachments

• L5_2010_to_be_tex.jpg
    L5_2010_to_be_tex.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 17

Daikhovalin

Apr 17, 2010
Oh, and maybe any one can offer some help. I see that after even scaling the model up to about 22cm in hight the gatling gun parts is going to be very very very small. In fact so small it will not be buildable by the average joe. Any ideas on how I can maybe add in some alternative part for those less in skill like myself.

I am attaching a screenshot of pepa showing two of the parts on a A4 paper. As you can see it is tiny. I printed it and yep. It is small. Even those barrels are so small one can hardly see the fold/score lines.

Perhaps you could do a couple of simple cylinders with a texture of the multiple barrels on it?

I for one would like the high-detail, not-for-the-fumble-fingered version. May be a bit easier to build if each barrel were about the size of a coffe stirring straw and the builder rolled them instead of trying to fold them.

I'm looking forward to this one. It'll go nicely with the rest of my army of paper mechs.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

Daikhovalin

Status
Not open for further replies.