Battery Powered O Scale

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Hey guys! I'm back!
    *waits for the shock to wear off*

:D

Awhile back I won a battery powered O scale engine on eBay. I'm really wondering what the best way to create and outdoor layout for it would be. I've got tons of old 3 rail track I can use but I'm not sure how to go about laying the foundation for it.

Any tips would be helpful.
  2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Is it a K-Line set? As for outdoor railroading, will you run it on the ground or elevate it. Pros and cons for both ways. A friend of mine runs 500' of mainline on the ground. He dug a trench about 4" wide and 3" deep and filled it with the crushed rock they use around power line poles. He asked a crew out working on a pole I guess and they gave him enough to do his layout.

Greg
  3. Cannonball

No. This is an old tin Marx set.
    Although I do have a K-Line Christmas train which might also run on this track.

I like the idea of the trench with the crushed rock but wouldn't that settle quite a bit over time? Of course, I suppose you could always line the bottom of the trench. Would I really need 4' x 3' for O gauge or does he run a larger gauge?
  4. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I don't recall if he lined his trench or not. It's remained stable for the most part of 4 years now. He runs O gauge 3 rail MTH on Atlas track. I guess the size of the trench depends on how much water or plants are near the tracks. For the weather and climate, he's outside of Reno NV at about 5400' elevation. He's had 6' of snow piled on it one winter and the next winter we got a lot of rain. It's needed some maintenance but so does the real railroads. :D After the wet winter, he took powdered concrete and added that to his ballast and sub base. It hardened up enough to not wash away or get kicked away by his dogs.

Greg
  5. Cannonball

Now that's an idea.

I thought about lying out a cement pad as well. Maybe a 6x6 in the front yard. If I put some plants in the middle, my wife wouldn't complain too much.
  6. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

a freind of mine has a large outdoor G-scale layout and all he did was use a trencher to dig a 3 by 4 trench then lined it with that pond neting.you could also use the netting for landscaping.but he placed it in the trench.finally mixed 50/50 sack crete and pea gravel.this allows time to place track before the crete is totally hard and allow the track to make an "footprint" in the crete to keep it from moving.his layout hasnt moved at all in 12 years.and this is ohio too.we get high ninetys in summer and 20 degree and lower winters.so its quite durable.if you have alot of rain in your area id place 4ft lengths of rebar under the trench to give the creete or gravel a good hold.hope this helped :mrgreen: .--josh
  7. Cannonball

Wow... I'm still really amazed that you would have to dig out that much for a trench. I figured a couple feet at most.
  8. bigsteel

its really not that much dirt at all. digging a 3in by 4in trench with a rented trencher from home depot is really easy.just draw a line with a chalk bottle and start trenchin :thumb:.i used it for electric to my garage.i did about 100ft in half an hour.--josh
  9. Cannonball

ooooohhhhh...... You're talkin' inches.
    Greg was talking in feet.

There's a whole world of difference there! :D
  10. bigsteel

the only way youd have to do that is for a 1:1 scale railroad!--josh
  11. Cannonball

I wouldn't mind one of those either. :D
  12. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Well this is what I originally wrote. "He dug a trench about 4" wide and 3" deep and filled it with the crushed rock they use around power line poles. "
    The reason he used crushed rock from the power company was it didn't have material in it that would conduct electricity.

Greg
  13. Cannonball

You're right.... My brain read it as 4' x 3' for some reason. wall1

I guess since I'm going with battery power, I could use about any crushed rock but his was a good idea for electric.
  14. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

sign1 Not to worry, been there and done that myself. :mrgreen: I was wondering just how big a layout were you going to make.

Greg
  15. Cannonball

If I had my druthers, it would be 1:1 scale. ;)
  16. bigsteel

wouldnt we all! :mrgreen: :thumb: :p

and the electric companys croshed rock is a good idea,i never even thought of that!--josh