Bartel BM-6a from www.modele-kartonowe.com [build]

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cygielski, Apr 15, 2005.

1. cygielski

cygielski Member

With the double motivation of having finished my Yak-3 and a nifty contest on www.modele-kartonowe.com, I have decided to continue procrastinating on my MM Arado Ar-196 in favor of m-k.com’s Bartel BM-6a.
    The site’s owner, Lech, has started a series of models of Polish pre-war prototypes -- with the recent print edition of the lovely gull-winged PZL P-8 probably the best-known example. The Bartel is the first of that series -- the plane never went into serial production because the factory that was to produce it went belly up. Its designer, Ryszard Bartel, had the distinction of designing the first Polish fighter (the BM-4) to ever go into serial production. After that his star died down somewhat, though he continued to design aircraft even after the war.
    The way I am planning to build this model is somewhat different -- I have printed the patterns out on a laser printer (on regular paper), and except for the parts that are to be backed with cardboard, I will trace the contours of the parts using carbon paper onto the actual card stock. Don’t ask me why -- I guess I just like making things more difficult than they need to be. The model will be painted in line with the kit’s paint scheme (only makes sense as this was the only BM-6a made), using enamels. Since the deadline for the contest is April 30, I may have to simplify some things (I don’t really expect to make it on time, but I will do my best.)

Anyways, here are the frames for the rear of the fuselage:

[​IMG]

I’m using 1mm cardboard, slightly thicker than what Lech recommends (0.75-0.9 mm), so I’ll have to make allowances for that, since the fit of the parts is very precise.

Here’s a dry-fit of the whole assembly. It’s still missing the cabin floor and side walls.

[​IMG]
  2. gera

gera Member

Will follow your build closely.......................looks nice 8) 8) 8)
  3. cygielski

cygielski Member

Er, after rethinking things a bit, I will just print the kit on card stock and save myself the hassle of tracing. The model will still be painted.
  4. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Cygielski, watch out for one thing when using thicker cardboard: I'm not thinking about the need to make wider slots (self-evident), but the dislocation that might occur so to speak vertically, since parts that go on top of a thicker slice of cardboard will make the model ever so slightly larger. If you're in bad luck, fuselage skin parts may not go all the way around, if you follow my drift.

However, from the look of your framework, there doesn't seem to be any such parts, so you'll probably be alright.

Had this problem with the Airacobra, and there was no way I could figure it out beforehand, just noticed it, and came up with this explanation afterwards.

Best, Leif
  5. cygielski

cygielski Member

I’m actually amazed at the amount of motivation I’ve got to get this thing done. This Sunday I concentrated on the pilot’s cabin. There was a slight problem with the pilot’s seat -- the back was too short for the sides. I fixed it by making the back taller:

[​IMG]

And here is my new seat:

[​IMG]

As you can see, the original floor plan would have had the seat going through a bulkhead, so I moved it and the control stick forward a bit. I also made it and the rudder pedals thinner than in the kit.
    I added the seat cushions and seat belts (of course screwing up the placement, but I’m not going to rip it up to fix it now):

[​IMG]

I exercised my painting skills a bit on the instrument panel (not to mention my imagination - there appears to be no surviving record of the plane’s interior):

[​IMG]

Here it is all put together:

[​IMG]

That’s that for now. Tune in next time.
  6. cygielski

cygielski Member

Thanks, Leif. I'm on the lookout for these kinds of things. Lech, the model's designer, told me this might be a problem in the front part of the plane, where several layers of cardboard are sandwiched together. (Card modeling is one of the few places where being Polish is an advantage :mrgreen: ). I'll probably just sand these down to size.
  7. cygielski

cygielski Member

I prefer to spend my time building and not writing long missives, so here’s just a pic of the current state of things:

[​IMG]

I had a lot of sanding to do on parts 21b, 22a and b, and part 1 (the central frame of the fuselage), but most of that was most likely due to the slightly too thick cardboard I used.
  8. cygielski

cygielski Member

It’s a mouse...it’s a plane...no, it’s mouseplane. :lol:

[​IMG]

I put together the engine cylinder covers, which turned out to be very difficult to do well. I had to shape the card in two directions at once, which resulted in ugly creases that I was only partially able to fix. It doesn’t look too bad on the picture, but in real life it bothers me a bit.

[​IMG]
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Simon,

The model is looking great even if I can't see the effect you mentioned. The problem you're experiencing is one of the limitations of paper, it only stretches about 3-5% and then it tears, end of story. You might think about a judiciously cut seam. Aluminum tooling foil backing on 100% cotton bond paper would solve this problem for you in an instant.

Gil
  10. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Simon, I'm waiting with great suspense for the time when you're about to start painting it. Can't imagine how you're going to accomplish that, but have no doubt that you'll succeed.

Leif
  11. cygielski

cygielski Member

Gil, I've been thinking about your aluminum foil technique, especially with this build, but I won't use it here for two reasons:

1. The contest I'm building it for has an April 30 deadline.
    2. The search for the right kind of material would take some time, which I don't really have as per point 1. :)

Nevertheless, I will probably end up trying out something like this sooner or later. Your results were very impressive.

Regarding it looking great - thanks, but trust me, I have seen some work here in Poland that puts my stuff to shame. Still, it's a promising beginning as far as my past efforts are concerned. :)
  12. cygielski

cygielski Member

Here's the rudder -- I'm trying to give it (and other parts) a bit of a three-dimensional feel, so the model doesn't look "flat" after painting:

[​IMG]
  13. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

hi :)

the models looks very prammising :)

how u make the lines in the beck of the part? and can u please soew some pic of the colored side with the lines?
  14. cygielski

cygielski Member

Yaniv,
    I scribe the lines with the tip of a bamboo skewer that will later become the main wing spar. :)

Unfortunately, the lines do not show up very clearly on the other side right now -- they are not that "obvious" -- and they somehow ended up coinciding with the printed lines on the kit. :lol: I was unable to take a picture that would show them clearly - even shining a light across almost parallel to the surface, the ridges are almost invisible right now. When the surface is a uniform color after painging, they will show up better.
  15. cygielski

cygielski Member

I've started assembling the wings. I've got the framework done, I'm beginning to cover them. Here you can see the "ribs" scribed with a bamboo skewer from the back:

[​IMG]

From now on, this will be a very terse build report -- I've got precious little time before the contest deadline. I'll try to fill it out a bit after I finish.
  16. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Simon, and others: Great work on scribing the ribs from the back side. I notice that many use baboo skewers for that task. If you ever run across a couple of small crochet needles at a flea market, try them as well - very smooth and polished surface, still nicely rounded tips, useful also for preshaping various small parts and starting paper rolls. - L.
  17. cygielski

cygielski Member

I forgot to add -- I rounded the tip of the skewer somewhat, to avoid haiving it go through the paper and to keep it from breaking so much. I still have to reshape it every now and then.
    Leif -- thanks for the crochet needle tip -- I'll go and raid my grandmother's basket next time I visit :mrgreen:
    The reason I'm using a bamboo skewer is that I misplaced my bookmaking bone folder -- a truly wonderful tool for scribing, folding and generally working with paper. I hope I find it in one of my piles of junk some time -- they're darn near impossible to get in Poland.
  18. cygielski

cygielski Member

Due to lack of time before the contest deadline (plus work, kids, etc. -- I won’t bore you with the details) I didn’t document the build as I said I would. Here’s what I did get:

[​IMG]

This shows some elements of the 3-D work I had to do to be able to paint the model without losing the surface detail. Here’s how it looks under a coat of paint:

[​IMG]

Here are the wing struts -- I used sticks made out of bamboo skewers -- they split off very nicely, are strong, flexible, and as opposed to wire, you can glue them with normal water-based glues.

[​IMG]

In the end, I didn’t manage to finish all the details, and the paint job still requires more work -- I have to paint all the insignia on the plane. I intentionally left off the prop, as the contest photo was done “in flightâ€

[​IMG]

I’ll try to take some “normal†pictures in the next few days to show the details as I finish them.
  19. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

Take your time. The plane is looking great! The details show up very nicely under the paint. I assume when you mention contest your speaking of the JRTS competition right here. Don't worry, you still have at least 3 weeks, and I don't doubt that the deadline would be pushed back a bit if there was a sure hope of more entries. Wonderful build. Fill us in on some more details when you get the chance.
  20. cygielski

cygielski Member

No, I meant the April 30 dedline for the contest on the modele-kartonowe.com site. But now that you mention it, maybe I'll enter JRTS' competition too. :)