Bargin layout

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I mentioned in the general forum that I bought a layout and all the rolling stock for $300. I also mentioned that the layout was very big, and complete. I took some pictures before we took it apart to move it into storage. Here is the first shot of the leftmost module:

Attachments

• section 1.jpg
    section 1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 244

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Just an added note, if the layout looks dingy it's because there is about 15 years of garage dust on top of everything. All the trains were in the same position they were in then. We carried it outside and a gust of wind created a cloud of dust like the local authorities should have called a smog alert.:eek: :eek:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by Papa Bear
Don, that layout looks great! For $300, I'd say you did get a bargain.:thumb:
John,

I really wasn't as interested in the layout as much as the equipment that went with it. There is 137 cars of all types and 29 locos, both diesel and steam plus an assortment of kits, structures, track and other stuff. I had no idea what I was getting until we got there. I'm hoping to find a suitable home for the layout since it's too nice not to be used by someone.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by Lighthorseman
Hard to imagine how someone would put that much work into a layout...and then just abandon it. Nice Find!
Computers is what I was told. According to his wife, this guy just let the layout sit in his garage as-is after getting into computers. Since he also abandoned this earth a few weeks ago, his wife just wanted the garage cleared out. The guy that bought it from her isn't into trains, but was doing her a favor. He sold it to me for what he paid. He even helped me take it apart and move it into storage on the other side of town.:thumb: :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by ddavidv
I'll give you $350 for it right now. :D
Seriously, nice score. Looks like it was pretty decently built, from a scenery standpoint. What are your plans for it? (Missed original post, wherever it was).
:thumb:
The plans I have for the layout is to find a nice loving home since I really don't have the room. The layout itself totals around 80 square feet.

Ray Marinaccio is working with a couple of groups up in the Prescott, Arizona area that might have the room eventually, so I'm working with him in hopes of doing something like that.

The original thread is here

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, that was a hellofadeal. The layout is way too big for the room I have, but as I mentioned, that's where I get my pleasure from, building stuctures and scenes, wiring and making the layout look good and working right. Taking over a layout that is completed just doesn't do it for me, even if I had the room. I'm trying to find a home for it where it could be cleaned up and get others, like a bunch of kids, interested in railroading and not in other things.

Ray Marinaccio suggested that if he can't use it, that I do take it apart. There is proably $1000 worth of turnouts on it, but getting them off the layout after they've been ballasted isn't easy. A lot of the structures are recoverable, and there are a couple of hundred of them, most date back to the 70's and 80's and some probably aren't available anymore. I'm hoping Ray and his group can use at least part of it, and the rest we just might take apart.