Bandai 1/12th scale BB-8 and R2-D2 combo kit

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
And a Full Build Thread, The Bandai 1/12th BB-8 and R2-D2 combo kit.
BandaiBB-8.jpg

the instructions are nice,
BB-8_002.JPG BB-8_003.JPG BB-8_004.JPG
BB-8_005.JPG

6 multi colored sprues in 3 bags,
BB-8_006.JPG BB-8_007.JPG

and Bandai's signature 2 sets of decals, both waterslide, and pressure type,
BB-8_008.JPG

That's what's in the box, next assembly starts...

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The Force is strong in this forum. You have it, I have it, maybe other members have that power, too..! :)

micahrogers

Staff member
The Core skin gives you a choice of two options, 5 white covers are used, but 6 are supplied,as the final one has 2 options
BB-8_006.JPG BB-8_005.JPG BB-8_007.JPG BB-8_008.JPG

The 2 options are for your choice of display, the clear stand has 4 parts, a round base, a double jointed, curved arm, and the head adapter,
BB-8_009.JPG

Using the whole stand gives you posing options,
BB-8_011.JPG BB-8_012.JPG BB-8_013.JPG

The 2nd option is a skin sections with the head adapter molded in, which lets you sit your BB on the disk, and not use the support arm.
BB-8_014.JPG BB-8_016.JPG

The next step will be detail painting, weathering, and deciding on my display options...

micahrogers

Staff member
And the last post on BB-8,
These are the posing options the kit offers for BB,
BB-8_001.JPG

Adding the details of the "equipment" bays
BB-8_004.JPG

Details added and antenna's attached to the "head"
BB-8_009.JPG

I chose the "Thumbs Up" pose...
BB-8_014.JPG

BB-8_016.JPG

The beauty of these kits is that it gives you the extra parts to "change" the pose
BB-8_017.JPG

Next week I'll start on R2...

Last edited:

micahrogers

Staff member
I started R2 sunday, and the first thing I decided was to paint the "silver" metal sections with a silver paint, to get a better effect than the colored plastic.

BB-8_001.JPG BB-8_002.JPG BB-8_003.JPG BB-8_004.JPG

I used my standard Vallejo Acrylics for the silver color, in this case Game Color "Chainmail Silver"
BB-8_005.JPG BB-8_006.JPG BB-8_008.JPG BB-8_009.JPG

The blue looks spot on to my Old Mk I Eyball.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
When I used to do plastic kits I always used to paint every visible surface, regardless of what colour the mold and finished product was :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Bandai plastic needs to be handled with care when it comes to painting and weathering. Use acrylic colours only. Thinner and oil-based colours make the plastic brittle and may melt it down.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Good point, I only built Airfix, Heller & yes, Revell :) Those handled the enamels I used quite well
Apparently it is part of Bandai's credo: Don't let the customer poison him-/ herself in order to assure a long-time relationship. :D ;)

Micah, I have noticed that the latest combo feat. C-3PO and R2 has a shinier silver with a metallic sheen instead of that dull grey. That proves that Bandai is constantly improving its products. I have the first editions (the ones with R5 and BB-8). I was a bit disappointed with my R2s because there were a lot of swirls in the plastic. For that reason painting is imperative, not only to get rid of the seam. The blue does look a bit "plasticy", too, and needs some paint, too. I have seen a few guys who painted the blue parts silver and then used transparent blue on top in order to achieve a metallic blue finish. I haven't tried that before but the results were not bad. :)

BTW, you have to get their C-3PO and Captain Phasma. The chrome finish is so breath-taking that I would not add some weathering to it in order to keep it nice and shiny. thumbsup

micahrogers

Staff member
seam filled and re sanded, then repainted
DSCN1119.JPG DSCN1120.JPG

that seam is now gone, and on to the legs...
DSCN1126.JPG DSCN1127.JPG
okay well, leg... the tubing that came with the kit for the power cables on the legs snapped on the sprue...

I cut thin copper wire and replaced the power cables, but they will need to be painted.