Baltimore Schooner 1/96

AlexL

Hi @all,

after 24 years without card modeling I rediscovered my hobby and started up with a nice little kit found on a flea market several years ago.

Originally it's Shipyard's "Armed Schooner Berbice", but I decided to make a few changes for testing my skills. So I called her "Alexa". As it is my very first model, I appreciate any kind of suggestions and critics.

All right, so let's start with the semi-completed hull. I built it "out of the box", but added a head knee (makes the ship more elegant I think).
The colours of the kit weren't that good, so I decided to do a little paintwork.

Picture111.jpg

Picture113.jpg

Picture114.jpg

Picture110.jpg

I didn't like the printed "wood-structure" of the decks, so I did a little printwork on my own and added planks. This was no fun, believe me ;)

Picture120.jpg

Picture119.jpg

Picture121.jpg

The original "Berbice" is fitted with a helm. I replaced it with a wheel, just for testing if I could "scratch" an acceptable result.

Picture122.jpg

The guns were a very special challenge to me, but I think I found a simple but efficient solution: wrapped the "muzzle" 'round a toothpick, then took small stripes of tissue and wrapped it 'round the muzzle until the right forms appeared. Then formed a little ball simulating the cascable.
After adding some colour, this looked nice :)

Picture132.jpg

After adding the gunports, I started with the deck fittings. Until now, there are a (nearly scratch built) hatch, 2 tackled guns (my nerves!!!!!) and the pumps (also nearly scratch built).

Picture136.jpg

Picture137.jpg

Picture138.jpg

Picture139.jpg

Picture140.jpg

Picture141.jpg

Today I'll complete the starboard pump and start up with another 2 guns.

Thanks to my fiancée, she made the pics ;)

Picture134.jpg

Please feel free to comment,

Alex