Ballasts with plastic roadbed attached

prodigy2k7

Dec 17, 2006
The easy track stuff (the plastic roadbed connected track), can you add ballast to these tracks or will it look bad?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You can add ballast, but probably a thin layer only, as otherwise the ties will look buried. Not that it doesn't happen in real life...! ;)

You can also try painting and/or drybrushing the "ballast" to improve the appearance.

Andrew

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
If you like...please check out my NScale gallery pic's under Herc Driver (or use the link below my signature)...all my track is Bachmann EZ and has been painted/ballasted. If you like that "look", the ballasting can be done without too much fuss.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Herc's stuff looks fine.

That being said, even if it looks the same...it costs much more $$$ and gives you less flexibility than flex track

rfmicro

Sep 24, 2006
Concur above. I have also ballasted EZ Bachman track. The ballast on/near the ties needs to be a very thin layer, perhaps a single layer so you won't bury the track ties. Glue with scenic glue or elmer's/water solution.

Regards,
Trent

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
I've ballasted Bachman EZ track so successfully that some people think it's snap track laid down on separate roadbed. It's not until they make a close inspection that they see it's the Bachmann product.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I don't think you want to use anything but flex track with dcc. The dcc system we use in the modular club is very sensitive to bad connections. I would reccomend soldering a drop wire to a buss to every piece of rail on your layout. Those short sections of track will require a lot of soldering to work.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
nkp174 - you're right about the cost and flexibility...if I had to do it all again, I'd used flex and a roadbed. (I thought the kids would loose interest in a simple oval running on a table...wooops they didn't loose interest and that simple table oval using EZ track with no scenery grew into our layout.)

IMHO...EZ track is a good product with some advantages that depend on when/how the layout will be used. It is more expensive, more restrictive on layout design, but you can still use it effectively and I feel ballast/scenic it well with no more effort than snap/flex track.

Alan Bickley

Dec 22, 2003
Bicester, Oxford, UK
Visit site
A lot of my society colleagues would recommend using Roco-line. I'm not too sure about adding ballast to it, but I have looked at what can be done by the way of airbrushing in their catalogue and the end result does look good. Personally, I would stick to using Peco track as it's a lot less expensive!