Ballasting: Quick Fix

If you use the white glue/ dish soap combo with a spray bottle with water and little dish soap. Here's a quick fix. I accidently laid the curve track in the picture, too close. The opposing trains hit each other. The reason, the tracks where too close. I sprayed the water/soap mixuture in the effected area. This loosen up the track. I pulled it back a few mm's. With the track still wet, I pushed the track into it's new position. Then I glues the area into place. I quick and non-mess fix! The trains now don't rub on each other!!!:thumb:

Andy:wave:

Attachments

• h2otrack.jpg
    h2otrack.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 122

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The key is the white glue, which is water soluable. If you use the yellow (carpenters') glue, it will be much harder to remove, as the glue is pretty much waterproof when dry.

If you do use the white glue, be careful when using other water-based scenery techniques nearby...! :D

Andrew

railwaybob

Jun 15, 2003
Ottawa, Ont
www.railwaybob.com
Try using alchohol with a bit of soap as a surfactant. The alchohol penetrates better than water and will quickly evaporate. You can buy alchohol (known as methyl hydrate - don't drink the stuff!!) at your local building supply store in the paint department - available in quarts and gallons.

Bob M.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
railwaybob said:
Try using alchohol with a bit of soap as a surfactant. The alchohol penetrates better than water and will quickly evaporate. You can buy alchohol (known as methyl hydrate - don't drink the stuff!!) at your local building supply store in the paint department - available in quarts and gallons.

Bob M.

It will also be known as "denatured alcohol." Isopropel or "rubbing alcohol" from the local drug store will also work for ballast, but the denatured makes better paint thinner for water based acrylic paints.