Ballasting blues

CSXFan

Feb 25, 2002
ohio
Visit site
hey all, i just got started on the new N scale layout and i'm getting ready to lay the cork roadbed down on the foam. however, the cork has blunt edges! I want the nice tapered edge look so how can i achieve this? I'm no Shamus so i need some help.:)

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Like Plbab said, you cut it down the middle (it should already have a seam in it). The two halves have been cut at an angle. If you're careful, you can just pull the stuff apart. Set the two "blunt" edges together. They do it that way so that the two sides can "slide" when you're laying the cork on curves.

After you put down the track, use sandpaper to smooth out the edges and remove any burrs.

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Hey CSX, Better double check before you pull to hard on that roadbed! Depending on which company made it, it may not be split. I almost bought some like that in HO gauge once but when I noticed it I put it back!! If it dosn't separate you either have to slit it on an angle down the middle or taper the sides after laying with plaster or wood putty.:eek:

CSXFan

Feb 25, 2002
ohio
Visit site
ok, it has a seam in the middle thanks guys. i was thinking about ballasting my bachman easy track but it looks too fake for my tastes.

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
CSX FAN, before you ballast take some sandpaper or a small rasp and take the shoulders of the cord down a little, this way you do not have that square shoulder look, looks more naturally sloped
Ron..