Ballast Hopper Kitbash

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
Just checked online and it appears that the athearn 4-bay hopper panels match so I may try that for my 2nd car. I am doing 2 but only have one donor as of now. I will post progress...

Dave

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
Got through the cutting phase
ASIDSCN2991-600x450.jpg

And the applying factory detail parts phase
ASIDSCN2992-600x450.jpg

ASIDSCN2993-600x450.jpg

Now I am to the scratchbuild the rest phase. Got to order some styrene, more pics when more progress is made. This is the test car, when I get another donor for the second car I will be sure to take more in progress pics and throw them up.

Dave

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
Done. Well, mostly. Rail Graphics decals will finish her off. I will do more weathering after the decals are on. Due to the lack of steel weights, this car will have a live load to make it heavy enough to operate well.

ASIDSCN3063.jpg

"B" end
ASIDSCN3074.jpg

"A" end
ASIDSCN3073.jpg

It is not exactly like the hoppers in Loren's photos but is a good representation I think. I guesstimated the height of the side extension. It also irks me that I screwed up one of the stirrup steps after I installed them. Well I guess it can represent some sort of accident damage. Sorry about the lack of in-progress photos, this is my first ever project thread. I will post some in-progress shots when I build the second one.
Dave

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Hey, you already posted pics of the real one on the first page, wheres the model progress pics, oh wait now I see the window in the background! It is the model!
Nice work!:thumb:

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
Thanks for the kind words guys. I am definitely satisfied with the result, though in retrospect I may have built it about 6 scale inches too tall. The great thing is I was able to start gaining some experience with styrene. I dream of joining the likes of nkp174 with his completely scratchbuilt stuff. The hopper extension is scratchbuilt with .010 styrene and "T" and "L" shaped channel from the LHS.

Dave

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
ballast hopper #2

Here are some in progress pics of the second car. For this car I chose to use what I had in my scrap box, not unlike what a prototype railroad might do for an MOW conversion. The donor car is a Tichy ribbed side 55 ton hopper that was missing a bunch of parts. Here it is with the hoppers and the "A" end slope sheet removed.

ASIDSCN3076.jpg

Here the lead weights, styrene filler panels, ballast doors, and frame have been installed.

ASIDSCN3077.jpg

I decided to make the dreadnaught end full height this time.

ASIDSCN3078.jpg

The extended height sides are .010 styrene.

ASIDSCN3079.jpg

Since the donor was a Tichy kit it has interior braces. This car will not have to have a live load due to it having lead weights, so the interior braces will be a nice added detail.

ASIDSCN3081.jpg

I'll get more done tomorrow.:thumb:

Dave

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
Roof, ribs, top chord, end posts installed. This car also has an end brace on the dreadnaught end, like the prototypes in Loren's photos.

ASIDSCN3088.jpg

ASIDSCN3089.jpg

I think this car is turning out better than the first one, not surprisingly.

Dave

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
Done. (except for paint obviously...)

ASIDSCN3100.jpg

ASIDSCN3096.jpg

I'm having so much fun I decided today to scratchbuild an ore jenny. Here it is next to an old Varney ore car.

ASIDSCN3091.jpg

Thanks all for looking.
Dave