Backdrops

Starman

Sep 21, 2006
Where is the best place to look for buildings or pictures of buildings to use in a backdrop. I have been pondering the backdrop issue for sometime on what type of paint to use for the sky and what to use for the clouds. As i am not very good at painting i would like to find out some painting ideals from some other's on what type of paint to use and what is the best to paint this on. I have about 6 or 7 sheets of elmer's foam board that i can use and i was wondering if that would be good.Any ideals would help and i would apprecate your comments.

Starman

Sep 21, 2006
Hey Nomad,
Thank you very much for that link it helped me alot. I have been printing things out all day and i think my backdrop problem is solved. Again thank you.

Starman

Sep 21, 2006
No nomad i was wondering what paint to use in case the pics that i have downloaded does not cover the board that i have. Also can i use foamboard to put this on because that is all i have and where i live that is all i can get.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Starman,
I went to the Nomad linked to, but I don't know what images you downloaded. Are they black and white images that you want to color?

Are you doing a single building on each piece of foam core? Any paper image can be put on foamcore witht he same sort of glue you would use to mat a photograph. I would reccomend using one building per foam core piece with the foamcore cut to fit the building's outline. That way, you get more depth to your backdrop. You could take a photograph of the sky where you live on a nice cloudy day when the sky looks like you want your backdrop to look and then have the sky enlarged to poster size for your sky backdrop behind your buildings. If you are doing a city backdrop, with a number of buildings crowded together, the sky doesn't even need to come down to the horizon because the buildings will hide the horizon. A thin coat of flat finish sprayed over the buildings in the back will give a further look of depth to the scene. Paint the sides of the foam core a flat black or flat brown to make the sides of the foamcore disappear.

Starman

Sep 21, 2006
Hey russ,
I downloaded one's of the mountain's and with the sky as background and it looks really good and they were in color so i think i am just going to use them as the backdrop.