"Back to the future"

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
Wondering if any of you have ever seen a layout depicting the city of the future from the 1920's. Like from the movie Metropolis.

I have toyed with the idea for along time. I model in HO but If I did attemp it I'm thinking N would be the scale of choice for a project like this.

t.

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
That would be a neat project for someone with imagination.

I have a book (just looked for it, but couldn't find it --- probably loaned out, never to return) that was a pictorial record of past predictions for the future. Everything from elevated steam trains (I mean really elevated --- 20 stories or so off the ground) chugging around from building to building, to what looked like iron blimps weaving their way between skyscrapers.

The book was a testament to the futility of predicting the future.

(I think it was in Scientific American, that an article was printed some time in the 19th century, predicting that if a train went faster than 50 or so miles an hour, it's occupants would be rendered insane!)

Bill S

t. alexander

Jun 20, 2002
Attalla Al.
Visit site
:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D wonder if thats where we get the phrase "Are you insane?"

It's something I'll probably attemp in the future. It would be a good reason to attempt a helix.
In Nscale How tall would that make frank L. wright's mile high skyscraper.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi T, Nope I haven't seen any layout like that but its an idea. :)

I think that Charlie said he was starting one based on Harry Potter but haven't seen any further posting. Bring us up to date Charlie.:D

Here's some more movie themes.....Gotham City from Batman...Not the TV series but the dark and foreboding city from the comics books...or the little seaport town from the movie Popeye...forgot what it was named.:D Or even Atlanta (Terminus) from Gone With The Wind.