back from a long rest

eve_9d9

Dec 21, 2006
Bowling Green, Ohio
haven't posted on here in the longest time, kinda tooka summer break from my layout as I enjoy being outside in the nice weather, but I have been making progress, Im well into ballasting, I included a couple pics, as I have never ballasted before and figured Id get some input to how it came out, so let me know....Ill post full layout pics soon!

Attachments

• ballasting 003.jpg
    ballasting 003.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 12
  • ballasting 004.jpg
    ballasting 004.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 15

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Well from what I can see - looks like you did a nice job! Is that darker color pretty typical for where you live? It almost looks like the ties are colored too, which is a nice touch.

Post a complete layout picture when you can. That double track looks like a great, long straightaway - wish I had that on my layout.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Good to hear from you again! Your ballasting job looks first rate to me.
That's never been my favorite part of the hobby but it really enhances the appearance of the layout, of course.
Ralph

eve_9d9

Dec 21, 2006
Bowling Green, Ohio
The color was just based on trial and error....it just looked right to me...now whether its realistic to use all cinder roadbed I have no idea.....and I did paint the ties! glad you noticed because it was a miserable job. Ralph, everyone tells me they hate ballasting, I read an article about it that gives kind of a secret formula for doing it fast, and I modified that method for my use, so it goes quick, still I hope to be able to move on to other scenery soon.... Ill have more questions and pics soon!

mummert

Jan 18, 2007
Pa
Do pass your secret formula on because all I have ballasted so far is about 4 inches inside each of my tunnel portals and I can tell its not going to be a fun task.

eve_9d9

Dec 21, 2006
Bowling Green, Ohio
well here is what I do.......I use a paintbrush and paint the sides with watered down glue......I do about a 1 foot section at a time, and Im generous with the glue, then I take a plastic cup with my ballast material, and a spoon, and I sprinkle the ballast onto the sides, it doesnt really matter if I use a little too much as Ill fix it in the next steps.....I do this till I have a good long section done, then I give it time to dry. when its dry I use a very small handheld vacuum, and a large very soft paintbrush, and I sweep and move the material shaping it into what I want, the layer that has been glued to the roadbed act as a bit of tooth to keep everything where I push it. when I have the sides where i like them, I pour some ballast in between the tracks, using the paintbrush to sweep it along, and the vacuum to suck up excess, once again the glued material holds evrything in place. when everything is where I want it, I take a spray bottle and wet down the ballast with a mix of alchohol, and water. (this not only holds it in place for gluing but acts as a medium to soak up the glue....very important step!). Then I take an old glue bottle with the same water glue mixture I used to paint the roadbed, and I dribble it all over the wet sections, it soaks right in, and when it dry (it takes overnight to dry) everything is locked in place.....vacuum off the extra and your done....most of this method was stolen from model rr magazine, but some of it I kinda modified to make it a bit easier.................added some more pics too...enjoy!

Attachments

• trackplan 001.jpg
    trackplan 001.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6
  • trackplan 002.jpg
    trackplan 002.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 9
  • trackplan 005.jpg
    trackplan 005.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 6

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Good idea about ballasting. Based on your results - I'd say that technique works well. Nice job.

I like the blue paint masking tape for the roads - that's a good idea and just about the right scale size for N.