Bachmann Trolleys

alexbnfan

Feb 18, 2007
N.E. NSW, Australia
Hi,

How well do these trolleys work? i'm looking to add a trolley line, and am also wondering what other brands there are that are cheap

doesnt need to be dcc ready, or even compatible as it will be kept on dc.

thanks
Alex

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I like mine, it runs very well and wouldn't be too hard to chip for DCC should I ever go that way. I added working poles to mine and redetailed it some. I also have a Tyco brill from the 60s that runs like a dream. Gotta be the older one with the metal frame but you can usually score them at shows for $5-10.

Attachments

• bachmann.jpg
    bachmann.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 114

MCD4x4

Aug 18, 2005
Staten Island, NY
I have the CTA PCC, at first it didn't run so good, I just oiled it up a touch and after about a 1/2 hour, it runs really nice now. I'm looking to get a few more and paint them the colors of the Brooklyn NY colors. Heres the link to one I bought and put the motor kit in for my three rail O scale club. This is the paint job I would like to do. It's the second post in. Does anyone know if this was made by any companies?

http://www.modeltrainjournal.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4580

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
alexbnfan said:
ok, thanks for that

i assume no major issues with how well they run?

Oh no...they run great. There actually was a day when you could say that for Tyco:rolleyes: :thumb: Just make sure it is their older release. AHM released some as well that looked similar but were slightly longer and don't run as well.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Best advice I can give for the Bachmann is to take out the little lucite rod and the bulb in the middle and replace them with any off-the-shelf directional lighting kit. It will look better and you'll decrease the minimum turning radius to about 8-9" without having to alter the frame (if you widen the spaces in the frame where the trucks turn you can get them to run on 6" curves.) Adding better poles is a pretty easy fix too...there was an article in MR (April 1989, I think?) on how to modify the Bachmann to run on overhead power that mentioned the same modifications.

I have a few of 'em. They run very nicely, for the cost.