Bachmann Steam Locos

Cadillac_SD9

Jan 2, 2006
Does anyone out there own a Bachmann Spectrum 2-6-6-2. If so how well do they run and how much can they pull? Are they worth the money?

GWRFANN

Nov 7, 2005
East Coast Canada
I've just got one. It seems to run OK. I have not pulled anything with it yet so I can't help you with that. Is it worth the money? I would say yes it is. Mainly because I think it's an awsome looking loco.:D

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
I tried it out starting with 10 cars, then I went up to 15 and 20 and it had some trouble pulling more than 20 on curves. on straight line, it was able to pull 28 cars, although it had some trouble starting cuz the wheels would spin. its not bad.

Boilerman

Jun 30, 2006
Blair, Nebraska (Midwest)
Bachmann 2-6-6-2 N-Scale Loco

I have three (3) of the Bachmann 2-6-6-2 Steam Locos:) .

They do not have very good tractive effort, I installed traction tires on two (2) of them and that made a whopping increase in their tractive effort.

I also have installed Digitrax DZ 143 DCC Decoders in all three (3), Installation is like installing a decoder in the Bachmann USRA Light 4-8-2, (below is a link for that installation) it goes in the Loco just forward of the cab.
You remove a component that reveals a cavity for the decoder.

http://www.trainweb.org/nrmrc/dccconv/ba482.html

If you need more info contact me:wave: .

kozmo

Jul 14, 2006
Minneapolis & St Paul, Minnesota
I have one. I got it for $86 + $10 shipping new with warranty.
It looks great!
but is noisy, even after 20 hours fo running and lube.
does not pull very many cars before slipping.

My Micro-Ace Steamers are 3000 times quieter, smoother and pull much much more (come with traction tires. and cost only $60.
it's ok, but needs traction tires.

Travellar

May 2, 2007
I wish I had the cash to buy a second 2-6-6-2, just so I could do a better job installing the DCC. Frankly, that was a real pain for me, and it's taken me a year to get the thing running right.

As for it's performance, (when I can keep it running), mine has no trouble pulling the 7-9 cars I tend to run my trains with, even without traction tires. It'll also completely outpull any other locomotive I've got. I ran it coupled to each other locomotive, pulling opposite directions, and it simply started rolling along. I agree though that it is quite noisy. It seemed to be running a little quieter today though, so perhaps it just requires excessive run in time. Or I'm going deaf.