Bachmann Steam Locomotive

Nscalemodeler

Aug 10, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Can anyone tell me what is the quality of the Bachmann steam locomotives? I am looking for a Great Northern 4-8-4 with Vandy tender, but don't have a lot of cash to spend right now. Here is the specific item I am asking about. Is this unit decent, or is it not worth the money. Thank you in advance for the help.

L58161.jpg
Bachmann
4-8-4, With Tender
Great Northern
Item Number 160-58161
N Scale
Locomotives

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
I have one from the mid '80s that is a very good puller.

It was the first loco I ran as loco 0 with my new DCC system. With a bit of cleaning, a small amount of lube, and fiddling with driver wheel gauge it still is a real nice hauler.

I don't know about any of the newer units, so I won't comment anymore than I have.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I have had several of the older Bachmann 4-8-4's and had pretty good luck with them. On three of them, I added tender pick-up which improved performance. I would recommend you look for one of the newer releases, though, as they have an improved motor, improved pick-up, and blackened wheels and drivers. The new frames are also all metal. The new issues can be identified by the packaging..... they come in clear plastic "trays" inside the box. I don't know if the one with the Vandy tender is available with the new works but, the standard ATSF with 16 wheel tender is.

Dick