Bachmann Spectrum loco purchase

eric halpin

Eric Halpin
Nov 10, 2006
Perth, Ontario
Fellas,

I am considering adding a new steamer with DCC and sound on board, to the Algoma and Rideau. I am leaning towards either the 4-6-2 K4 Pacific or the 4-8-2 heavy mountain. These trains will not likely haul much more then 15-20 max weighted cars but will have to negotiate a 2% grade. Do any of you have experience with these Bachmann units?

Eric
Perth, Can

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Eric,

I know this does not directly answer your question, but I am very happy with my Spectrum locos. So far I have a 2-8-0 and two ten-wheelers. They are good pullers, with the 2-8-0 able to pull more than a dozen cars around a tight (18" radius) oval. This strain may approximate your 2% grade...

Hope that helps.

Andrew

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Eric, I have three Bachmann Spectrum heavy mountains, two with sound and one without, a Decapod with sound and two 4-8-4's. All run great and I like the way the sounds work with DC. I have had some problems with the Decapods, [ 2-10-0's ], without sound, due to they need an insulater strip just above the drivers that isn't there. With the exception of the soundless Decapods, my other Bachmanns have performed flawlessly and will pull very well. You will love em-------JR

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Eric,

The Spectrum steamers are all excellent locos, very good smooth runners. There were some issues with the first run Mountains about 10 years ago, but I believe they've fixed that.

I'd go for the Mountain, simply because the K4 is an iconic loco, and people will subconsciously associate the Algoma and Rideau with the PRR! :eek:

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Eric----have you decided or have you already bought something? Something I might add, I have a dozen steamers, most of them Spectrums, and when my Mantua found a couple spots in the track it didn't like and my Rivarossi was also a little picky and demanded a very clean track, the Backmans couldn't care less and just kept running---
I have a new Athearn that is a little touchy--------bottom line, I think you'll be pleased with a Spectrum. All my Mountains run great.------jr

Don7

Dec 29, 2007
Northern BC
I agree with the comment that the K4 would I identify the PRR association, I would also suggest that you go for the mountain, or if you really want a smooth runner go for the Spectrum 2-6-6-2 (I was so impressed with the first I bought a second for my roster).

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Wait a second...you mentioned 2 passenger locomotives and a 15-20 car train...do you mean passenger cars or freight cars? Cause 20 HO passenger cars is a very, very heavy train...and longer than any current passenger train (the Amtrak umbrella, under which most modern passenger trains & excursions in the US is capped at 18 cars)

If you're talking freight... Mountains were dual service engines. The C&O and N&W used theirs for passenger service (later replaced/augmented by 4-8-4s. The NYC & PRR used theirs primarily for freight.

I'd definitely go with the USRA 4-8-2. Not only is it more general...but I also recall that the K-4, at least as of a few years ago, was not on par with the rest of the Spectrum line (it was the first offering 20 years ago and has be updated a few times).