Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-2?

Anybody know about this engine? What's the prototype, if any? Does anyone have one, and if so, how does it run?

Go to www.micro-mark.com and look for item number 40220. It says "BACHMANN SPECTRUM HO STANDARD GAUGE CLASS SY MIKADO, PAINTED/UNLETTERED" The price looks phenomenal.

Of course, I couldn't find anything out on the Bachmann site. (Don't you just hate it when a new product is announced and the company producing it doesn't even know about it or care enough to update their own website?) So perhaps folks here are a bit more in the know?

Just Curious (in a maybe I'd buy one someday sort-of way),

Galen

doctorwayne

I haven't seen any announcements for this loco, but by the looks of the engine in the photo, this is a Chinese Mikado, probably made originally for the Chinese market. A couple of the prototypes of this loco were imported to the U.S. within the last couple of years or so, by a tourist operation. The prototypes imported were new locomotives.

Wayne

Dragon

That's the Bachmann model of the Chinese-built Mikado that was in use by the Susquehanna for a while.
Last I heard it was sold to an historical society?

oldline1

The engine was produced by Bachmann a couple years ago in short quantities. It is going to be re-run this year or early next year sometime due to its popularity. The model was awesome! It has a ton of details and runs extremely smoothly. The first run sold in the $200 range but could be found at many shops from $125-140. I have one and will probably get at least one more........more if I can afford them!

They also did the QJ 2-10-2 models that were recently imported into the USA and are running in Iowa. They were also very nice models.

Roger

Thanks, guys, for the good info. I've watched the Highball Productions (I think...) videos on RFDTV on the Jingpeng Pass and other Chinese Steam Survivors. It is a fine looking model and I know Micro-Mark has some great sales/specials on this sort of stuff from time to time. I just picked up a Spectrum 4-6-0 back in June/July for a fantastic price.

It's the kind of loco that a short line here in the US might be justified having, like the Russian Decapods, huh?

Are the QJ's actually running, or just stored servicable? I'd love to get down there and see them in action.

Galen

MilesWestern

I believe they're really running!

The SY is a beaut! I thought about purchasing it, and modifying the cab to reflect a US engine, it's just...WOW! :eek:

Fluesheet

ocalicreek said:
It's the kind of loco that a short line here in the US might be justified having, like the Russian Decapods, huh?

Are the QJ's actually running, or just stored servicable? I'd love to get down there and see them in action.

Galen

Light mikes are perfect for a shortline scenario.

RE the QJ's, they're definitely running. I was surfing for other forums a few days ago and came across one that had a thread on a TRIPLE headed excursion train that had run somewhere in Illinois in September. Two QJ's on front and a very good looking Milwaukee Road Northern following them up. It included some links to youtube videos. If I can find the link again, I'll post it.

edit: adding link to thread noted above:
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14855

petey

I have one of the SJs. This is one made for China's domestic market, that according to the above, was imported some years ago to test for interest. No where on the box is it marked as a Spectrum, although I considered it on that level. It has a great amount of detail.
As far as running qualitites, this is an obvious candidate for traction tires. I ran it with four cars & caboose up a very slight grade, it did not make the almost imperceptible summit.

Gil Finn

You may differ from me but I feel free to repaint and decal about any engine and use it to be as I need it to be.

While river counters may swoon I have a NYC Berk painted and lettered for C&O and am using it as I would a K 4 to haul coal.

Works for me untill I decide to actualy get a K 4.