Bachmann question..

Jamesp

Jul 30, 2005
NC
for those that have experience with various makers..

This past year I have started adding to my HO collection( again) after many many years away..I don't run the trains often but do now and then..

I do test run each as they are received.

Here is my question, I have acquired many different brands of Engines, Penn Line ( love to restore) Athearn, Life Like, Proto's, Mantua, AHM, IHC, Model Power and of course Bachmann/Spectrum.

My most most recent editions are 2 Bachmann Loco's , a Spectrum K4 ; 4-6-2 and a 2-6-0 Mugul.
Both run fine and both basically appear to be brand new ..but compared to other Loco's they do not have comparable track speed..meaning they don't run as fast..

I am thinking this is due to gearing to be able to PULL heavier loads..

Yes ..no ?
The 2-6-0 compared to a recent Model Power 0-4-0 is not even comparable...The 0-4-0 top speed is maybe 2X....

I also have a Spectrum Doodlebug..same thing..runs smooth but not much track speed as compared to other brands of Loco's.

I have not put any of these to the pulling test as of yet...

thoughts ?

by the way, I collect New Haven and Pennsylvania..former Hew Haven / Grand Central corridor guy here..and I do have a sectional layout in process..( never ending )

thanks for your comments..
J

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
I do not own any spectrum steamers, but I do hear that they are great models. the speed thing is not exactly a problem i think. rather have a slow runner then a race car on my layout, spectrum usually are good pullers i think. speed takes away pulling power

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Here is a simple way to determine scale track speed.

Put a 12" ruler down next to the track and count the seconds it takes to run the distance.

1 sec = 60 mph
1.5 = 45 mph
2 = 30 mph
3 = 20 mph
4 = 15 mph
5 = 12 mph
6 = 10 mph

although not extremely accurate it will give you an idea of just how fast they are running in scale terms.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Model locomotives have always been capable of running too fast. With a lot of pressure we have been able to convince manufacturers that closer to scale speeds are commercially desirable.
This now gives the problem that double-heading a passenger lcomotive with a freighter means the speeds are incompatible.
For fun: forty years ago Model Railroader awarded the speed crown to Athearn's Hustler (rubber band drive) which was capable of 400 smph.

Jamesp

Jul 30, 2005
NC
WOW..400MPH !

now thats scale accuracy !

I'm gonna check the 12" ruler thing..that seems logical to me..

I wonder what the top speed was for Doodlebugs and Budd RDC cars ...

thanks
j

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
James,

I can't speak for the Doodlebugs they were long gone when I ran trains but I did run RDC's and If I recall correctly top speed was 80 mph, but at the time track speed was 60 where I ran them. They were designed for lesser lines with alot of stops so they didn't need to run real fast, just accelerate quickly. I'll look to see if I have any info to verify the RDC's.