Bachmann powered truck replacement?

HoosierDaddy

I have a couple of cheap Bachmann diesels that the motors have died on. These are what I guess you would call the powered truck type motors, not the can motors with flywheels. Is it worth trying to replace these motors? I've tried searching for replacements, but haven't had any luck. Are there better options for repowering these cheap locos? Since they're pretty cheap to begin with, I don't want to spend much to repower them. I'd rather spend money on getting more high quality locos. If nothing else, I can always continue to use them as dummys and for weathering practice.

HD

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Those are "pancake motors" and I don't think they are worth replacing. NorthWest ShortLine makes lots of different motors and trucks, so that's a place to start, but I would say you are probably better off saving the cash for entirely new locos.

Put the old ones on a shelf for display (if there's a sentimental value), otherwise put them in the scrap box for future projects, painting practice, or whatever...!

Andrew

HoosierDaddy

Fred,

I think you've hit on the answer! For 10$ plus the cost of postage I get a better unit than the existing one. That's worth it to me to have some additional low cost motive power that I'm comfortable letting my preschool age boys play with.

Thanks,

HD