Bachmann out of business?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
If they don't fix their service policies they will be :mad:

Their website is monkeyed up too.

$20 to service a GE 44 tonner when a new one from trainworld is $24. Lifelike, on the other hand sent me free parts for my 0-6-0, but they were 0-4-0 parts, so when I called them back, they sent me a free loco :)

Mike R

Jan 18, 2002
Meaford Ontario Canada
Visit site
No offense here at all jon-monon, but I didn't know one could fix a LifeLike 0-6-0 at all. A bad 0-6-0 in a train set turned one of my grandsons off model railroading for good. A "Shining" example of why kids don't take up the hobby as much...and you must know a "Shining" when you see one, right ?
regards / Mike

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Originally posted by Mike R
No offense here at all jon-monon, but I didn't know one could fix a LifeLike 0-6-0 at all. A bad 0-6-0 in a train set turned one of my grandsons off model railroading for good. A "Shining" example of why kids don't take up the hobby as much...and you must know a "Shining" when you see one, right ?
regards / Mike

Evidently you can't fix one, since they send me drivers for an 0-4-0 to fix it with :D :D :D I guess you can't expect a lot from cheap products made elsewhere...

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Question here ...

Jon - was that a Life-like P2K Heritage 0-6-0 that had the problem or a lower "regular" Life-like version? A world of difference (and quality and price) between the two!

The quality P2K version is NOT sold in a "set" - only the cheaper toy-like LL line is sold this way, so I'm wondering if we are talking quality apples or rotten peaches here.

Mike, if it is a P2K Heritage edition, it should be either repaired or replaced as it has a life-time warrenty - and would be well worth repairing as it is a very high quality MRR steamer - except for maybe the Broadway line just coming out, NO ONE makes a better quality steamer in plastic than LL P2K !!!

Andy- don't get our hopes up (that Blochmann is out of business)!

Sorry ... the ONLY good thing I've EVER heard about Blochmann is their 2-8-0. If your loco was one of THOSE, I will NEVER buy anything else from them! I only got their underpowered Doodlebug because of the RI name on it ... the P1K RI RDC-3 puts the Doodlebug to shame!

Good luck ... hope you can get your loco fixed!

Keep us posted!

- George

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Gee. I just received my 80tn three truck Shay from Bachman in the mail yesterday(ref :I'm gonna die...thread). I was kinda leary from buying it because I remember Bachmans N scale F-9"Barely"(barely ran, barely pulled cars and barely lasted long enough for one trip around the layout), but the detail and the way it operated, is one step below those high priced brass imports...so far(its only been one day) I'm impressed.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Ok - maybe TWO good things!

Glad to hear your Shay is a good one, 88.

They DO seem to have a better handle on steamers than on diesels. Go figure. But they are still not in the Heritage P2K class. I doubt that most BRASS are in this class when it comes to operation. Bachmann seems to be about at the Athearn Genesis class with their 2-8-0s from what I've seen.

- George

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
British Pacific recall

Bachman UK has just announced a recall of their A1 pacifics because of almost universal motor problems. They gave very detailed instructions on where to send it, but there is a time limit.
I don't think they've had a similar problem in the U.S.

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
I just got the Spectrum series 2-8-0 in N-scale and am quite pleased with it.

Remember that they started out as a toy train dealer and still sell them, Now since the demand for more quality is up they are upgrading to better quality. Life like is the same way if it comes in a set you can count on it being low quality since this is beginner stuff.

Bachmann has their Spectrum series and LL has their thier Proto series.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Even so, Shane, the Bachmann Spectrum series is no match for the Life Like P2K series. My Doodlebug is a Spectrum series and it isn't even as good as LL's P1K-series RDC-3. And to compare it with any of my P2K-series diesels shows that Bachmann has a long way to go in terms of learning to make a quality diesel locomotive. And that seems to go for all Bachman's Spectrum diesels, according to feedback I've heard on various MRR forums. I would take an Athearn "blue box special" over a Bachmann Spectrum diesel anyday of the week!

Bachmann's Spectrum steamers, on the other hand, especially the 2-8-0, are held in high regard, but the P2K Heritage series is still top-of-the-line in plastic.

Regarding Life Like, a lot of folk seem to confuse the third best line of locos in model railroading - Life Likes' P2K (which is just behind Kato, which is just behind Atlas Master) with the toy-class "regular" Life Like "sets". No P2K is EVER offered as a set - they are all limited editions. The LL P1K series is of less detail (but still good runners) and beats out Athearn BB and Bachmann Spectrum. Hopefully this will help those who are confused about the different LL offerings.

360 posts ..... full circle ....

- George

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
George, I'm not sure about the 0-6-0, but I would guess it's a cheapie. I'll look at the box when I get home. I bought it used (maybe $5); not in a set. They did give me a free replacement, no questions asked, which had the same roadname and number as the 0-6-0, exceot it is an 0-4-0. The relacement runs very nice and I'm happy with their service. I get to keep the old one too, so I'll regear it myself :)

My doodlebug runs great. Slow, but very smooth and nice at the low end. What I don't like about bachman is they don't seem to have parts and they say they have a lifetime warranty, but they charge you if it's over ayear old. That's not a warranty, that called a flat rate. Or maybe a flat lie. :mad: I'll probably buy more, but I consider them disposable.