Bachmann Gas Mech. bell thingie

scottmac99

Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne, Oz
After many years armchairing, now that both kids have left home, I have just taken delivery of two Bachmann DCC gas mech. engines, plus a DCC controller. That's it so far, no track, and nothing else. I've been devouring Carl Arendt's CD (bought myself one for Xmas), and am aiming to start small, with some sort of switching layout.

Two questions:
1. Where do I install the little bell thingies that came with the Bachmann locos?
2. The Peco On30 turnouts look a little oversize to me - is the Atlas HO track etc a better bet? Both claim to be code 100 but the Peco looks a lot larger.

I'll have lots more questions for all you patient forum members, but these two will do for the moment.

Scott

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Peco is a bit oversize with their On30 track, especially for the little guys like yours. Micro Engineering code 70 in On30 size looks a lot better but they don't have On30 turnouts. Did you get an exploded view drawing with your loco's. All of my Bachmann stuff came with them. Or maybe a photo will show the bell location. As an afterthought, you could use Micro Engineering HO turnouts and replace the ties with wooden ones that match the On30 track if you wanted to get into that sort of thing.

scottmac99

Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne, Oz
Thanks Jim (and for being awake ... it's 530 pm here). I don't actually want to build anything yet, ie. prefer to buy turnouts. I want to see if I'm serious about this stuff and the best way I think is to buy ready-to-use everything to make sure I have no obstacles :)

I've inspected the exploded view that came with the locos but can't identify anything that looks like a bell. But then, my wife will tell you that I can't see the butter in front of my nose when looking in the fridge, so it's probably there, I just have to look harder.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I do have to say that the PECO track is first rate in all respects but the rail size for American narrow gauge. I'll look in one of my back issue magazines and see if I can find a picture that shows the bell. It's 01:25 here in Montana. By the way I have that same problem finding anything that I'm looking for.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
No success with the location of the bell. I looked at an ad in Garden Railroader magazine and the photo didn't show a bell. I guess you are free to put it wherever you wish. Regards; Jim Krause. PS, Its plus 2 degrees Farinheit here tonight. West slope of the Rocky Mountains