Bachmann EZ command

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
From what I've read about the Bachmann system, it wont program the decoders any further than address. It will only address 10 locos and 10 features. It is a basic entry level system for the novice to dcc or the hobby.
I have to say though, for roughly the same price, you can get a Roco system that will address 100 locos and offers full programability. I got 1 off ebay for $75 inc shipping, but haven't tried it out yet. I only have 2 engines with dcc installed currently, have 2 decoders awaiting installation.
I built an Athearn Blue Box dash9 MRC 50yr unit and ordered an new drive train for it to include the dcc board. I did that for a couple of reasons. The new motor system w/dcc board has 1.5 v bulbs for forward and reverse lights, which I installed instead of the lenses. Then I put a set of ditch lights for an sd70 on the front porch, drilling through the deck and into the center between the mu hose sockets to get the wiring thru to the board. It works great on dc without a decoder in it. Hopefully it will be as impressive when I put a decoder in it and can have it sitting on a siding with the ditch lights lit up, as that was the overall objective.
I chose to go with the Roco power maus instead of the Bachmann because of its programmability and functionality for about the same price.
Most folks say they will never have 10 locos to run, so it will be enough. But ask any collector, truthfully we all are, and you'll see rather quickly how fast your roster grows. I started collecting 25+ yrs ago. Moved quite a few times, lost alot of items that cant be replaced. I bought 4 dash9's 5 yrs ago on vacation in FL and they were stored for awhile. Now my roster is above 50, and I will slowly put decoders into them all, even the most difficult ones.
Sorry for rambling, back to the thread, in my honest opinion, the Bachmann system leaves alot to be desired for seasoned as well as the hardcore-to-be hobbyist. I believe the intended market was for entry level, just bought the trainset at the store type. No offence meant to anyone that has 1, just my opinion.:D

alexander said:
just what can this system do?

If i wanted to get a Lenz System, seing as there both lenz products, can i use the EZ command as another throttle on a lenz system? (how about programming?)
can i then use the power supply? or, is it not worth it (ebay it i suppose)
Alex

Alex
I was thinking of getting the Bachmann EZ command, do a search for mor info.

I know that Bachmann can only handle 2 loco's and 5 if you buy the additional power adapter (available in January, at my LHS). Bachmann power cord is different then everyone else's I don't think they are compatiple with the Lenz system.

Andy

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The Atlas system is Lenz under the cover. I am not sure that the Bachmann system is...

If you have any future needs for DCC, like additional locos, bigger layout, signalling, advanced programming, train detection, then the Bachmann system is not for you. Look for a "starter" from Lenz, Digitrax, or NCE. They are all expandible and have more advanced features.

Yes, the Bachmann is easy to set up and get going, but that seems to be about it.

As for your specific question as to whether it can be a throttle on a Lenz system, you'd have to check with Lenz if they do indeed make the Bachmann. If not, chances are good that it is NOT compatible.

Andrew

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
The Bachmann system can handle a max of three locomotives on the 1 amp power supply. It can address 9 locomotives (all separate addresses) as well as consist up to three locomotives (more on the 5 amp booster). It can also access up to 8 sound functions. The system uses single function NCE decoders. As far as I know, it cannot be used as an additional throttle for the lenz system, though it is designed by Lenz.

BTW, I use the Bachmann system myself and I'm happy enough with it, though I want more power, so my next acquisition will be the 5 amp booster.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Jeffery, I think the same way about it, when I go over to DCC on the 2nd track I'm going with Digitrax I think....that will allow the "kids" to run DCC on their trains.

Rick

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
alexander said:
just what can this system do?

If i wanted to get a Lenz System, seing as there both lenz products, can i use the EZ command as another throttle on a lenz system? (how about programming?)

can i then use the power supply? or, is it not worth it (ebay it i suppose)

more wacky questions as i think of them

Alex

It looks like you've gotten some answers to your questions, Alex, but you might get even more info if you re-post in the DCC Forum.

Wayne

doctorwayne said:
It looks like you've gotten some answers to your questions, Alex, but you might get even more info if you re-post in the DCC Forum.

Wayne
ummmm, actually, my real questions arent answered, i still dont know if i can use it in the way i sugguested

and, yes, the Bachmann is a lenz product

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/index.html its in the first line

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Alex,

Try the manufacturers' web sites for info on the capabilities of each system. Also, Tony's Train Exchange, Litchfield Station, and others may have additional information. I know Tony's is highly respected for their DCC info.

Check out the resources thread in the DCC forum.

Andrew