Bachmann Doodlebug availability?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Ok, so doctorwayne has me thinking about getting a doodlebug/gas-electric to serve the LPBs on my layout. It may require some modification, but I am hoping that the Bachmann gas-electric is a good starting point...

So is it just me, or these things hard to find. Searches at Walthers and Bachmann websites come up empty. Trainworld too...? Are they out of production for some reason?

Your insights appreciated!

Andrew

There are 3 on Ebay - one finishes today, Thursday! - type in HO SCALE DOODLEBUG
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Thanks Jack - I did just take a look there. An unlettered one (although the pic shows NYC) for US$9.99 seems too good to be true...!

Andrew

Sod's Law says it won't be that price at close of play! may be worth a (sensible) bid though
Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands

doctorwayne

Andrew, I'm pretty sure that my hobby shop, Niagara Central Hobbies in St. Catharines, has these in stock. They may have a web site, although with my computer skills, a drive down there is faster. I believe that they'll also sell through the mail, and they are a distributor for Bachmann. Pretty decent prices too: $179.00 Canadian for the Bachmann USRA 2-10-2.

Wayne

I did a little search and Discount Trains Online @ $50.40 Theramp.net @$47.96,
Trainandtrooper @ $38.95, and Ridgeroadstation @ $36.00
So they seem to be pretty available. I'm assuming this is HO.

Lynn

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Thanks everyone...

Jim - could you provide more info about the Walthers version? I know about the Spectrum, but had not heard about Walthers before...

Thanks.

Andrew

jim currie

Andrew the Walthers unit i like because there only 60 ft long .but the down side is there sold out from walthers.:cry: might be able to find one on the web a train show or a RR shop if i can figure out where my resized pics are on the new:curse: computer i would post a pic of one.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Jim,

That sounds great. If you can't find a pic to put here at The Gauge, please email me! Click my user name to the left for the link...

Thanks!

Andrew

abutt

Andrew...

Sorry so late entering this thread. I bought the Bachman/Spectrum doodlebug when it first came out, but found it just too damn long for my operation. So I chopped it down to 54 feet HO and am much happier with its looks. I also made one from an Athern diesel frame and power, an MDC old time passenger car and an old MDC diesel electric nose. Both are finished in my CNE green and lettering. As soon as I get a moment I'll take a picture of both and send.

This kind of motor power is much more fun as a do-it-yourself project. Makes it kinda personal.:)

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Allan,

Some pictures would be great... I have been thinking more about tackling this with the help and advice of doctorwayne - any support you can provide would certainly be appreciated.

Andrew