Bachmann DEAL!!...Maitence question.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
A Bachmann loco lives on....

I got this great bachmann 4-6-0, one of the older ones that most likely started out as their 0-6-0 model.

It was quite a deal, getting it in a box of OTHER train stuff for $5 for the whole box!:eek: :thumb:

Here's the questions.

1. It runs sticky and noisy, what kind of oil should I put in it?

2. It's an SP model, yet, it has a coal tender. Could I send the tender back to bachmann with hopes of getting an oil tender, as featured in the UP version, do you think?

3. I KNOW it isn't covered under the warrantee, what should I do?

4. I have plans to super detail it and make it look "pretty" does anyone know of they make a detail kit for this locomotive, which appears to be a fairly accurate model of an SP Class S-10 switcher, where do you think I could find the parts?

5. Should I add electrical pickup from the tender too?

just wanted to know, I want to make this great find worth something to me!

Thanks!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
well, i suppose you should get a Lionel Maintence set. its got a picture of O-scale stuff on it, but it works fine on HO stuff. oil the side rods and pistons, and lube the wheel axels and worm gear. oil and lube are different, just so you know. you need both for steamers i think. atleast thats how it works for my steam engines. ( lionel 0-27 4-4-2 and a HO Challenger)

you can always buy and undecorated tender for your steamer and then buy the appropriate decals and paint. i'm sure bachmann sells sepereate tenders, and i know other companies sell kits for tenders as well.

i don't know much about Southern Pacific, let alone steam engines (i'm a diesel guy). i do know that Bowser makes superdetailing kits. maybe one would match your locomotive.

extra electrical pick up is always a plus. if you want to add it , i say you should.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Miles,

Before you add more lube, you might want to clean out what is there. Re-lube with appropriate compounds - grease for gears and oil for everything else. Remember that a little (very little) goes a lonog way. Overlube is as much of a problem as not enough.

Andrew

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Bachmann sells the tenders separately for any steam engine that they make, if they have it in stock. I'm not an S.P. modeler, but Roundhouse also makes a small semi vanderbilt tender that might work with that locomotive.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
dont think bachmann ever made a 4-6-0 version of the 0-6-0 (assuming you mean the USRA 0-6-0 from the standard series with the smoke unit), but bachmann sell spare tenders from the USRAs.

The separate tenders are supplied with wiring in them whereas the URSAs dont have wiring in the tender, no directional lighting (AFAIK), and no backup light. I am assuming this is the type of model you have!

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Yes, it's the "USRA" 0-6-0 with a "4" wheel pilot truck added to it, it's indeed a USRA 0-6-0 design, but it appears that SP bought ten of them, class, S-10 (later reserved for balwin switching diesels, the DS-4-4-1000)

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
The first three locos are ones that Bachmann has been selling for years and years, and years..... you get the picture. I have One of each of them, they are identical. If you look at the bells and whistles and domes and piping and lights. One mold for all three types. They go for less than $50.00. the leading trucks and trailing trucks can be taken off one engine and put in the screw holes for another engine. The switcher is missing some side rods that the others have.

The 4-6-0 is a relatively new engine (post DCC) and sells for $100.00 or more. I think it has only been manufactured for a year or so, so you probably didn't get that in a box for $5.00

If you got an earlier made 4-6-0, and it was a real 4-6-0, not something someone made by sticking a 4 wheel pilot on the front, then the rear driver wheel would be over the cab/firebox. you can look at where that wheel is to determine if it is kitbashed or real. You can also look and the domes/bells/whistles/piping to see if it is an X-6-0.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
Thois is the "X-6-0" model you speak of. It appears that the four wheel pilot truck IS indeed a factory-made part! I'll post a picture of it soon, so you guys can see it.

GrorgeHO, I REALLY wish I could have found that 4-6-0 in a box for $5!! :D

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
You're right, you got one of the 0-6-0/2-6-0/2-6-2 locos, and the way the front truck looks, it could be factory installed, but I don't think they have produced that model (if ever) in a long time. The superstructure is obviously the same and the position of the drivers is also the same.

You can certainly order a UP tender for the 0-6-0 version, which will be a Vandy, and you can turn it into a 4-6-2 just by getting the trailing truck. These locos are very light, and I don't know if a 4-6-2 that light was ever made, but it would be Ok on a short line.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
as far as i know that model has never actually been a factory model from bachmann, ypuve probably got a bashed one made using the leading truck from the older bachmann K4s Pacific

MilesWestern said:
That would be SO great, as it was intended to be a shortline engine. How could I go about ordering the trailing truck and vandy tender?

order them directly from bachmann as spare parts, i can give you specific part numbers for them if you want

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
hum, thats more likely actually, would be about siutable size to not require modification to the basic chassis, will look up the part numbers on the destruction sheet i have for my UP switcher (yes i have got one myself along with one with a totally different tender that looks like a custom jobby)