Bachmann DCC questions

KentBy

GN, NP, SP&S
I have been considering buy a couple of the Bachman FT units. Does the DCC with these units support consisting?

Also non of the the current offerings from Bachmann (roadnames) are what I want. Now I need to decide to buy and repaint or wait. How long do you have to weight to see Bachmann change road names/paint?

Also can the Specturm DCC VC be tuned to work with consists with the diesels?

Kent

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Kent,

I moved your question here to the DCC forum, because I think you'll get more attention, and therefore more information here.

My answers to your questions are somewhat generic, but I hope they will help.

Any NMRA-compliant DCC decoder (which is almost all of them) should support consisting with any other NMRA-compliant decoder, so technically, it should not even matter whether they are both Bachmann or not.

I am not sure how long the wait is for new road names to appear. It depends where they are in the product life-cycle. If it's been out for a year or tow, and there is still strong demand, they may add new names, and/or re-release old names. There is no guarantee they will pick the one you want though...!

Note that there are other manufacturers who offer many of the popular locomotives, who may have different names available, or undecorated if you feel up to doing it yourself.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by
Also can the Specturm DCC VC be tuned to work with consists with the diesels?
but if you are asking about Control Variables (CV) and speed tables, etc to fine tune each of the engines within a consist, the answer is as above - any NMRA-compliant decoder should allow this.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

KentBy

GN, NP, SP&S
Thank Andrew, I think that you covered it all.

If I am understanding correctly (this is a big assumption on my part). Then I could add DCC decoders to my older Athearn locos and combine them in a consist with new Bachmann FT units and get them all to do their share of pulling of the train.

I could even add a F unit to help a steam loco over some steeper grades.:eek:

Sounds like fun.:wave:

Kent

steamhead

You don't say what kind of DCC system you have. The "starter" Bachmann unit cannot program CV's so consisting will be difficult....You'll depend solely on matching locos with pretty much the same operating characteristics.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
As steamhead mentioned, it would be helpful to know the DCC system you are using.
I could even add a F unit to help a steam loco over some steeper grades.
If there is any one feature that would determine what system I would use, I suppose it would be "helper service", and that is the only reason I use Digitrax. The DT400 throttle, not only can be used for programming, but can make helper service much easier, in that you can consist the head end power (or single unit) on the right hand control, and the helper engine,or engines, can be selected on the left hand controller, and run independently.
This allows you to adjust the helper for upgrade, and downgrade variations. Watch the middle of the train, and operate the helper to maintain minimum load at the couplers between the two center cars of the train. If the helper is only used upgrade, cutting off the helper, and returning it downgrade can be done easily, and both the train and the helper can be operated simultaneously. This is especially neat on larger club layouts.

KentBy

GN, NP, SP&S
My mind work faster then my fingers, or...

is it the other way around? :cry:I just assume that everyone knows what I want even if I don't type it.:mrgreen:

I am still trying to figure out which DCC system to buy. I am leaning towards the Prodigy, but still have some more reading to do and asking of some more questions.

I have been convinced by others (on this forum) comments that I don't want to start with Bachmann's DCC controller.

Kent

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Kent,
I may be off base here, but, NCE, and Digitrax, are the most popular systems, currently.
If you are, or plan on becoming a member of a club, then whatever that club is using would be the "system of choice" just for the convenience of compatibility.
I started with Digitrax because the club used the Digitrax system. I've already posted why I like the Digitrax throttles. NCE is also a very good choice, and my reluctance to go there is financial, I already have Digitrax.
In either case, you should consider the newest of systems. The older systems sometimes have a problem programming the sound decoders, because of their higher current draw.
Regardless of all the above, I would recommend going with one of the higher end systems to insure that you have the ability to program any decoder. Some of the "beginner" systems aren't as capable, and you would then have to re-invest to get all the features you'd need. You may also want to consider operation on friends layouts....as in, what systems they are using.
Starting from scratch?.....I have heard more good about NCE, than all the others.
Pete