Bachmann conversion to a 4-8-2 U1e

Dan Crowley

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
home.cablerocket.com
Just finished bashing the new N scale Bachmann Mountain into something that resembles what ran on the rails in Canada.

abx.sized.jpg

aca.sized.jpg

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
Your 4-8-2

Really nice job! Your engine looks just right in that setting. :thumb:

There has been a lot of chatter about this locomotive’s pulling ability, what is your experience with it? I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting one but several folks have not had too many good things to say about it mechanically. All seem to agree it is beautiful but won’t pull much. I and probably several others would be interested in your comments. :confused:

Dan Crowley

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
home.cablerocket.com
I wish it would pull more. Mine pulled 15 cars up a 1.5% grade around an 18" radius. When I converted it to DCC I lost some of the weight in the boiler and some of the pulling power.

I added wt to the cab and I also added lead to the front porch under the smoke box cover. It regained all it had lost and then some.

The locomotive is smooth and quiet. I have ordered two more. I love them. For my home layout 15 to 18 cars is a normal train, and this locomotive can do that, so for my purpose it is fine.

If you are looking for something that will pull 40 cars, this isn't for you.

I have a secret weapon for pulling power though

P1010004.JPG

A lifelike GP 20 split frame with flywheels sitting in an express reefer, ensure this Mountain will pull 40 cars when I want it to!!!!!

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Very nice work, Dan!:thumb:
I checked out your website...WOW!
What a fabulous layout!
:cool: :thumb: :thumb: :cool:

Cinnibar

Nov 2, 2003
El Paso, TX
Visit site
4-8-2

Dan,

Thanks for the feedback. I believe it would also be fine for my layout. I'm just glad we "suddenly" have all of these great running steam engines. I have also been contemplating your "Secret Weapon" idea but with the traction driver sets on my 'Mikes', Bachmann's 2-8-0's pulling power, MDC's incredible little 2-8-0 and Model Power's 4-6-2's abilities, I'm pretty much satisfied with their tractive efforts. At least for my needs they work fine. The 4-8-2 may need your S.W. since I will want it to pull about 12 or 15 cars up what is close to a 4% out of my San Antonio staging.

I checked out your web site - beautiful web site, beautiful layout and a VERY impressive roster of locomotives! thanks again for cluing in myself and others regarding the 4-8-2.:thumb: :wave:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Very nice conversion Dan, lets see some of your layout photos.In Photography section.
Shamus

Dan Crowley

Aug 10, 2003
Canada
home.cablerocket.com
Thanks for the kind comments

The Bachmann 4-8-2 is a decent locomotive. As I mentioned I wish it would pull more, but 15 cars up a grade works for me.

I have compared this to my Key brass 4-8-2 and it is equal to it in all aspects. It even pulls better then the Brass. Now there is a locomotive that has trouble pulling itself up a hill.

The power express reefer is just to give ideas on what can be done to help the locomotive pull a prototypical sized train.

Dan