Bachmann Climax!

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
:wave: Merry Christmas everybody! I was browsing the web today. It appears that the Bachmann HO Climax is finally appearing!!! And, an e-mail from the manager of a nearby hobby shop indicates he expects delivery of his first shipment very soon. What a wait! I received Oso Publishing's book "The Climax Locomotive" for Christmas two years ago and my mouth has been watering ever since.

Oh, by the way, I talked in November to one of Bachmann's factory reps at Trainfest in Milwaukee in mid-November. He indicated then that the first shipments would be going out during December.

One question I'm hoping one of you intrepid loggers has the answer to--
All the product photos I've seen show a coal-burning version of the Bachmann HO Climax. Is an oil-burner option included in the painted, unlettered version?

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
"Shamus" took delivery of his Bachmann On30 Climax a while back, and it looks anrd runs great (level track only) ! He said it has problems on inclines (up and down grade...). You might want to check out his comments on the AMR forum, if you haven't already.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
Got mine in the mail last week (ordered it in 2002). Gave it a test run - very nice !! Ran around the layout at about 9-10 mph and could have easily run slower if I'd wanted it to. Surprisingly heavy by the way. Haven't done extensive testing, just a break in run forward and then in reverse, but did hook it up to 10 loaded ore cars and moved them around quite easily.

Next step will be adding a decoder (pretty small area!!) and adding detail parts supplied with the loco.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
grlakeslogger - I'll check about the coal/oil deal, mine is ptd/unlettered but I haven't opened up two little bags of parts yet so I'm not sure if both are included.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
It looks like mine just has the coal load - it's a separate part that you remove to access the DCC plug. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to make a replacement one for an oil burner. Took a quick look at the instruction sheet again, couldn't see any mention there of a different 'lid' for oil burners, kinda odd really.

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
It's Finally Here!

Mine arrived on Monday January 3rd. I opened it that night. Impressive with a capital "I". I noticed something odd on the pilot. Apparently, when the unit was packed, the packer snagged the uncoupling lever on the engineer's side and also snapped the right-most pilot beam handrail stanchion. I phoned Bachmann's service/parts department on Tuesday. They not only do not have any parts in yet--they don't even have the drawings and parts lists! Fortunately for me, the damage looks repairable. So, a warning--the loco has some very delicate parts. Be careful handling, even if you are experienced.

On to the important part! My layout has been sitting idle while I did four pretty complex structures. So, I gave the layout a thorough cleaning, repaired a balky turnout throwbar, and finally got to run my Climax tonight. This was just a thirty minute test run switching my classification yard. Now that I'm satisfied with the test run, I will lube it up before giving it a thorough break-in. It handled six freight cars easily. All were weighted to the NMRA recommended practice. It handled both handlaid and manufactured turnouts with ease and did not break stride by even a whisker through a #6 double slip switch. Next, I backed down on a Silver Streak four-wheeled bobber, coupled gently, and pulled through the yard throat to grab four Keystone Climax log cars. What a sight, running gear thrashing as it backed down, then ran forward to spot the cars. I will have to swap couplers. Bachmann's do not uncouple automatically from the Kadee #711's I use on my logging equipment.

As for my earlier question about an oil bunker, that still puzzles me. The Climax spec page from Oso Publishing's book indicates that an 875 gallon bunker was an available option on the 50-ton Class B. Very few, judging by photos in the book, were ordered that way. One is pictured on page 276, if you have the book. It looks about three feet high and occupies roughly the forward 2/3 of the available space and looks to have been made of riveted plate. I use the word "puzzling" because the Bachmann loco does include a snowplow pilot option. According to the Oso book, only one was built that way, and it was a special fabrication made at the purchaser's request. Oh, well ...

Finally, the Climax seems just noisier to me than does Bachmann's HO scale Shay. Anybody have any thoughts on that one? The Climax was worth the wait--Great loco!!!
--Stu--

P.S. My loco had only warranty information, lube instructions and a few exploded view parts diagrams. It had no historical or other narrative instructions. Is this right?

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
I didn't get any historical info etc. with mine so I suspect that is normal.

Next step is converting to DCC !! Because loco is so new couldn't find any recommendations so had to take shot in the dark, ordered a TCS-M2PV with 1/4" OS harness from Loy's Toys - a supersmall N/Z size decoder. We'll see if it works !!

camelot

Jan 12, 2003
Perth Western Australia
Visit site
grlakeslogger said:
Finally, the Climax seems just noisier to me than does Bachmann's HO scale Shay. Anybody have any thoughts on that one? The Climax was worth the wait--Great loco!!!
--Stu--

P.S. My loco had only warranty information, lube instructions and a few exploded view parts diagrams. It had no historical or other narrative instructions. Is this right?

My climax arrived today , its seems to be about the same in noise to my shay , not much noise at slow speeds , noisier at full speeds , it may quieten down after my run in.Dosn't worry me , as i have a few noisy locos and this is far better then them.

Also the main chassis seems a little bent when viewed from the side , it appears to have a curve in the top middle part.It dosn't stick out that much or make any difference running , so i an not worried , anyone else notice this ?

Mine came with the same warranty info and parts diagram and a packet of whats looks like dust ??? any idea what this is ? dry lube ?

Cheers

Ian

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
the dust is probably silica gel. It is used to absorb moisture. DON'T PUT IT ON YOUR CLIMAX! It is not good for mechanical parts.

I wish mine would arrive. It should be here in a week or two. grrrr

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
The packet looks like black plastic model coal to me (similar to model ballast 'cinders'). Silica usually comes in a paper packet, this is a clear plastic packet. Suspect it's for augmenting the coal load or putting a few stray coal lumps on the deck or something.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
BTW the decoder worked fine, but I should have ordered a different harness. It still worked but had to kinda turn the decoder upside down to fit it in.