Bachmann 2-8-0

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
I'm interested in buying one of these. Under normal circumstances I'd just go right ahead and buy it, then when I get it I'd figure out what I want to do to it. However, I understand that it is mostly made of metal, and at $180 to $210 a piece I think I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before I buy something that I might not be able to modify.

So I'm asking here, how feasable would it be to stretch the 2-8-0 into a mikado? Obviously I'd have to remove the cab (does this come off all in one piece?), place it further back, extend the frame, build a truck for the extra wheels, extend the boiler, etc... what I really want to know is whether you guys think someone with no more than a dremel, a craft knife, a saw and some styrene sheet could do it.

If anyone has any prototype information or photos, or has attempted this project themselves and can give me some hints, that would be really helpful. I don't know what prototype I'd be modelling, I just know that I want to do something to get the cab of the 2-8-0 sitting a little lower down (I don't like it the way it's so high up), and the solution to me seems to be stretching it into a 2-8-2.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Come on guys, at least one of you must know about this... where's that guy who said he had something like three of four of the things?

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
I'm referring to the On30 model.

Not being nasty or anything but, I posted this thread in the On30 forum for a reason. :rolleyes:

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
rebel said:
hey, whats with the attitude, if you knew anything you'd know that ho and on30 can run on the same trak

There is no attitude, what I posted was intended as a friendly poke, don't take things so seriously.

Also, what's this about me not knowing anything? I'll have you know that I pride myself in knowing everything thankyou very much! :thumb:

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
LoudMusic said:
Sounds like you'll have to invest in some metal working tools.

According to the guy who did the 1:20.3 Bachmann to K-27 conversion, all you need is a dremel. I figure since the 1:20.3 Bachmann 2-8-0 is the exact same build as the On30 version, so I should be alright just using my dremel.

I have a vague idea in my mind of how I'd do it - take off the cab, modify ash pan, extend the frame, add a rear truck, extend the boiler, and refit the cab. Of course it's not as simple as that, there may be unforseen complications with the way it's put together, and I also have to find a prototype that fits the dimensions of the Bachmann model. On top of that, the thing is practically encrusted in details that will have to be moved around or removed... it's a big conversion project to do to such an expensive model.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Canopus

There are already 2-8-2s being produced in On30 - a die cast metal model by MMI? (I could be very wrong). Certainly not as cheap as the Bachmann; I believe it's a pretty accurate (except for the 30" gauge!) of a K-27. Don't follow On30 that closely because I made the decision to go HOn3/HO, but there is some spill-over.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
pgandw said:
Canopus

There are already 2-8-2s being produced in On30 - a die cast metal model by MMI? (I could be very wrong). Certainly not as cheap as the Bachmann; I believe it's a pretty accurate (except for the 30" gauge!) of a K-27. Don't follow On30 that closely because I made the decision to go HOn3/HO, but there is some spill-over.

I'm not interested in those, they cost FAR too much money for the product you get. I'd rather pay the £120 ($210) for a Bachmann 2-8-0 that I can turn into a nice small Baldwin 2-8-2 with a little work.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
http://www.the-gauge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1465&d=1024965112 , is a MDC HOn3 2-8-0 converted to a 2-8-2. You can see the ashpan, and some of the equalization is represented with styrene, on the cast frame. the On30 conversion would be similar.
http://www.the-gauge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10110&d=1066354440
is an MDC outside frame 2-8-0 kit, modified to a 2-8-2. I have an HOn3 brass K27, and used the trailing truck, and frame as a guide for the MDC conversion. the point is that styrene can be used for a conversion of this sort, because you are not modifying the actual running gear of the loco, just adding a trailing truck.
Pete

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
simple answer - AFAIK no it cant be done - the bachmann 2-8-0 has a large plastic ash-pan under the cab which clips over the socket for the connecting wires between locomtive and tender, also the end of the chassis drops down just below the cab to form the basis of the clip point around the connector, so unless you are willing to do some major surgery to the frame and all the electrics its really not worth it at all.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I've read a few other places that the 2-8-0 can navigate an 18" radius without trouble. Is this accurate? Does it look alright or should I plan for 20"? And while we're on the subject, how about the 2-6-0?

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
LoudMusic said:
I've read a few other places that the 2-8-0 can navigate an 18" radius without trouble. Is this accurate? Does it look alright or should I plan for 20"? And while we're on the subject, how about the 2-6-0?

The 2-6-0s can certainly do an 18" radius. They originally came in train sets with 18" radius track. Harold Minkwitz (http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/of%5F280/) has his 2-8-0 running on 18" radius, although the overhang is starting to get large. Bachmann says 22" radius for the outside frame 2-8-0.

Hope this helps

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Wow, he claims he even got it around a short 15" radius. That's nuts.

I'd read all that before (apparently, because it looks familiar) but couldn't find it in a search. Kinda weird. Thanks for the link!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Canopus said:
I'm referring to the On30 model.

Not being nasty or anything but, I posted this thread in the On30 forum for a reason. :rolleyes:
I don't know about everybody else but when I log on to The Gauge, I just click on new posts and then go down through them. Very rarely do I glance over and see which forum it's in... I really don't care. If it's trains, it's interesting to me. So, I can see very easily how someone could read your thread and not have the slightest clue which forum it was posted in.

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
Canopus said:
...at $180 to $210 a piece I think I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before I buy something that I might not be able to modify.
Just FYI, Wholesale Trains has a few of these for $99.99 now. Shipping is usually around $9 in the USA.

Not affiliated with them at all. I am simply obsessed with getting the best price for everything that I buy.

Scott

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
AFAIK no it cant be done - the bachmann 2-8-0 has a large plastic ash-pan under the cab which clips over the socket for the connecting wires between locomtive and tender, also the end of the chassis drops down just below the cab to form the basis of the clip point around the connector, so unless you are willing to do some major surgery to the frame and all the electrics its really not worth it at all.
The key phrase here is "so unless you are willing to do some major surgery to the frame and all the electrics its really not worth it at all".
There are some of us "risk takers", out here who are willing, and believe it is worth it. I've made some horrible, and expensive mistakes in my hobbies, and I've had some few great successes. I've learned from both, and therein lies the value of the risk, learning !!. Not to mention that I have some unique and interesting things. My HOn3 outside frame 2-4-4-2, built from a MDC 2-8-0 kit, and an extra frame, is one of the successes. I've been running that engine for the last 21 years, with cleaning and lubricating as the only maintenance.
I am not downplaying the difficulty in a project of this nature, only saying that if you are willing to take the risk, and want the result, it is something which can be done. Well planned, and carefully done, step by step, with patience, it can be done.
So!, Canopus, if you decide to go ahead with this conversion, I, for one, will be interested in seeing the process........lots of pics! :D :D