bachmann 2-8-0 mechanical

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I have a question for anyone who has taken apart a bachmann Spectrum series HO scale 2-8-0. are there supposed to be small bushings on the worm gear's shaft?

I dissasembled my loco, then reassembled it, but the worm shaft is sloppy and the loco binds up now. I was just wondering if there were a couple small bushings that might have taken a trip across the room when I took the loco apart. It did kinda get out of control the first time, so I wouldn't doubt it, but I just wanted to make sure.

I noticed that there are molded cavities in one half of the engine's weight/frame which could very easily accept two small "heel" shaped bushings and that's where the slop is located. The exploded parts view shows the shaft and what appears to be two small bushings, but it looks like I'd have to buy the whole motor assembly.:(

If there are supposed to be two bushings, does anybody sell replacements?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Start hunting for those two missing parts. I just took one of mine apart to confirm that the parts should be there. On mine, the look like they might be steel, although I didn't disassemble it far enough to test out that theory. If they are, a magnet, like a Kadee uncoupler, could be of help while searching. Bachmann may have the parts available separately. You can call them toll-free at 1-800-356-3910. Press 1 for parts, or try extension 11 or 17. Depending on the person with whom you speak, you'd be surprised at what's available.

Wayne

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Thanks guys.

I looked all over the floor, nothing. I did find two earring backs that should make my wife happy.

I'm armed with enough indo now to give the Big B a call tommorrow.