Bachmann 2-6-6-2

2-8-2

Anyone own one of these engines? How does it perform? What radius curves can it negotiate?

I'm thinking of getting one and putting it to work around my coal tipples.

it doesnt pull a lot, but its a very good runner and it can manage any size curves. i reccommend it. and plus its really nice detailed.

Rasputen

Make sure you test run it before you buy it, and check all of the wheels with an NMRA gauge. Many of the early ones have wheels that are narrow in gauge, causing derailments on turnouts. My LHS still has about 5-6 of the first run units on their shelf!
The drivers cannot be simply re-gauged or they will crash into the valve gear. The trailing truck is a metal casting which must be relieved on the inside before its wheel gauge can be corrected.
Also, power pickup can be a problem - many had the drawbar installed incorrectly, and the pin on the locomotive chassis usually needs to be cleaned up. Plus, mine had the white tire paint slopped all over the tread surface of the drivers.
I would never buy this or any Bachmann locomotive without inspecting it first!

2-8-2

Thanks for the replies!

I read a few reviews, and all agreed about the wheels being being narrow at times. I was hoping to pick one of these up on eBay for really cheap, but maybe I should wait and get one at the LHS.

2-8-2 said:
Thanks for the replies!

I read a few reviews, and all agreed about the wheels being being narrow at times. I was hoping to pick one of these up on eBay for really cheap, but maybe I should wait and get one at the LHS.

interesting. I have two and I have never had any problems with anything on em'. Matter of fact, they run a lot smoother than the spectrum diesels. And they get used a lot. They are the ones I use to run around the newly laid track. And they are the ones I bring out to show on my small layout, and at my friend's big layout. And yes, I got both of mine at Ebay :thumb: