Bachman

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by glennfidduck, Feb 7, 2006.

1. glennfidduck

glennfidduck New Member

I'm brand new to G Guage I'm hearing from people to stay away from Bachman Trains. Why?
  2. Philinbos

Philinbos Member

Everyone has there favorite brand, Heres my take for what it's worth. I run mainly Hartland Products, 1. because they are made in the USA and 2. because I like steam. I have a fair amout of Aristocraft engines and rolling stock - they've been dependable for me. I have some usa boxcars -great graphics but I have to glue peices back on everytime I use them. I have one USA GP-7, After less then a year it would only run in one direction... USA said they would fix it for $100.00 -so much for their warranty ( No more USA for me) I have one piece of ACCUcraft- I love it but it's out of my budget... I have some LGB - very nice, but again rather pricey. Now Bachman - I have three Bachman sets, They all run fine, and were a good value for the money. They are more fragile then the other brands, and occasionally some of them need to have parts glued (sp?)back on.
    I also have one of their early Shays- It's a wonderful engine, impressive to watch, however the trucks have a tendency to fall off... In summary, I wouldn't avoid Bachman if you like something of theirs , just be aware that you have do to be more careful with it. ( To be fair I should tell you that I'm a Hartland & Aristocraft dealer, and as such most likely have a bias) Hope this helps...

P.S. If your running outside, don't use Bachman or Hartland :wave: track - It's just not rugged enough
  3. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

He's right :) I have 1 LGB, 1 Aristo Craft and my favorite engine is a Bachmann Spectrum Climax... So I have 1 of each of the 3 of more popular brands and they are all good engines :) If you take care of them :)
  4. glennfidduck

glennfidduck New Member

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm going to model in the late 1880's to 1900 and the engines I seem to like the most (visually) are Bachman, but have been told the gears strip out easily. I bought some bachman cars to go with a LGB engine I have. Nice engine. but not Old time looking enough for me. I have yet to get the layout started. I'm at the stage of moving mounds of dirt 1 wheelbarrow load at a time to bring the whole layout to about 3 feet high. I have to admit I'm enjoying that too. Thanks again
  5. Danny

Danny Member

Rob, I have a total of 16 locomotives, of which 12 are Bachmann, best value for the money. The Anninersary (Annie) 4-6-0 comes in several road names, also in undecorated. The Bachmann Spectrum line is super detailed, for a few more dollars.......I have a Spectrum Climax, New Shay and a Connie 2-8-0 , I have added Sierra Sound systems to these engines.
    Of my 65 items of rolling stock, the majority are Bachmann, again great value, I have changed all other manufacturers couplings to Bachmann Knuckle Couplers,
    simple conversions.
    Regards, Danny Sheehan in Oz. :wave:
  6. glennfidduck

glennfidduck New Member

Thanks Danny,
    I'm glad to hear it. I apprecitate your experience. Best Maintenance is just to keep them lubricated?
    Rob
  7. acflyer322

acflyer322 New Member

Any one know where to get parts for bachmann g gauge engines? Been going crazy trying to find out where i can get these parts. Need some nylon gears on the drivers
  8. acflyer322

acflyer322 New Member

anyone have trouble getting parts for bachmann g gauge?

I been having moderate to heavy problems getting parts for bachmann G scale trains has anyone else have had the same trouble?
  9. N Gauger

10. N Gauger

11. acflyer322

acflyer322 New Member

Thanks N Gauger , I really do appreciate it ! Thing is I'm a S gauge guy and trying to help a friend who has a ton of Bachmann stuff in HO and G . Myself I'm a flyer dude and have a large collection of American Flyer trains. I'm new to the Gauge here and I really do appreciate the quick response and thanks again.
  12. acflyer322

acflyer322 New Member

It's kind of funny most of my flyers were made in 1946 and I can get any part for any engine or accessory reproduction or OEM in a blink but try to get parts for these plastic fantastics is really a chore. Hail diecast ! lol
  13. N Gauger

That's great that you are helping a friend.. :) makes your appreciation for 'our" help - all the better :) :)

~~ Thanks & Good Luck!