Bachman programming

racer25j

Bachman says a resistor from radio shack is required for the programming track. Is it true that without it, you can damage the locomotive?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I don't know about that - but you should follow the instructions. Are you willing to sacrifice a loco to verify this?

It may be that the resistor is required to enhance the "load" that the system (Bachmann EZ DCC??) "sees" on the programming track.

Andrew

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
It's basically to protect you if you installed a decoder incorrectly. The resistor limits the amount of current going to the track, and that limits the amount of damage it can do to the decoder.

You can program your loco on the layout without a programming track, and if it's a factory-installed decoder, you should have nothing to worry about.

racer25j

Thanks Squidbait. I wasn't sure if it was to protect it from a surge or not. I will probably get the resistor anyway just to be sure.

Nomad

Jeff, one thing I would like to add. Make sure your wheels and programming track are clean. One piece of gunk in the right spot and the decoder will not get the signal with that resistor in the circuit.

Loren

CAS

Here's what i was told to do when i had problems with my Bachmann DCC equipped loco.

The Lenz/Atlas decoders are notoriously difficult to program with a Digitrax Zephyr. I had a few of the low cost Lenz decoders and a couple of Bachmann decoders that would not take programming from my Zephyr. Atlas and Bachmann decoders are actually Lenz decoders in disguise.
In desperation I contacted the technical people at Digitrax. They suggested that I place a 1000 ohm, 1/4-watt resistor across the programming track. This 'fools' the Zephyr into increasing the program signal output.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Whatever it does, it worked. Since using this little trick I have not had a problem programming Lenz/Atlas/Bachmann decoders.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I have a picture of my 'programming resistor' in place on my programming track posted on my website. Once on site go to the 'How'd You Do That' page and scroll down.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I'm certain this little trick will solve your problem, unless you have a 'dead' decoder. Unlikely IMHO.[/FONT]
http://www.intergate.com/~acoates149/

The resistor worked for me.

CAS

racer25j

Nah, have'nt even attempted it. I wouldnt even bother but my Athearn came programmed to channel three and I have another engine programmed to that one. I'll hit a radio shack near work tomorrow. The one down the street only has Ipods, cell phones, and robo toys. Does anyone remember when you could go to radio shack and pick up parts to build anything you wanted?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Yup...

I remember those days... Most of the Radio Shacks around here have been converted to "The Source by Circuit City", which seems kinda like "Best Buy Lite". I don't think they are going to survive much longer unless they either go back to their roots, or become something different than Best Buy / Future Shop.

Andrew

Stan Ames

Let me try to clear up some confusion. If you are installing a new decoder then a low current programming track helps prevent dammage should you install the decoder incorrectly. The resistor Bachmann recommends does this.

The Zephyr feature mentioned is another topic. The Zephyr will not send packets to the programming track if it does not see a load. The Bachmann decoder are very efficient and do not provide sufficient load. The resistor in this case is to fool the Zephyr into actually sending out programming packets.

Hope that helps

Stan Ames

CAS

racer25j,

I had purchased a Bachmann DCC on board loco. I tried programming it with my Digitrax Zephyr, but nothing happened until i put the resistor across the rails. After that i was able to program it.

CAS

:thumb: I purchased 2 Bachmann 4-8-4's with DCC on board and programmed them both on the clubs Digitraxx controlled layout with no resistor and no problems.

Dick
Texas Chief

racer25j

I'm just afraid that I'll fry my loco. Maybe I'll reprogram the Cheap Bachman to another number instead...hehe.

racer25j

I reprogrammed the cheap bachman and it worked fine. I think that the want you you to use the resistor on user installed decoders. Just in case you screw something up. Thanks again all.