Bachman EZ Control

racer25j

I wanted to set up something simple so I bought the EZ Controller. Bachman says that you can tie in your DC controller to control on DC train too but when I hook it up the way they want it; the engine sits there giving me the impression that it wants to go in two directions at once. Anyone else encounter this or anyone know what the trouble may be?

Very new to HO.
Thanks in advance.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
If the EZ controller runs a DC train like the Digitrax Zephyr, that is in fact what is happening!

In order for the loco to stay still at what is essentially full power, the motor goes from full ahead to full reverse many times per second. That is what creates that lovely buzzing noise.

I assume (there's that word again) that the train is not powered directly by the DC power pack. The DCC controller is instead using it like a throttle - interpreting the flow and polarity of current from the DC pack as a throttle signal for speed and forward or back.

Running a DC-only engine using this feature is not recommended for long periods of time, and if the engine will sit for any length it should be removed from the track. This type of operation can be very hard on the motor.

Andrew

oldtanker

Racer, I have the same setup and mine works OK. The DC controller is used as a throttle like Andrew says. When the throttle is at stop the train will make a load buzzing noise. When set up like that the #10 address on the main controller will now run another DCC engine, however to run more than 3 engines at any time you will need the 5 amp power booster.

Rick

racer25j

It doesn't want to move whatsoever. It's almost like putting your finger on it and cranking up the throttle. I thought that I might have fried something but I tested it on regular track and it worked fine. I think I might go strictly DCC and not even worry about it. Thanks again.

Jeff

:thumb:

NYNH&H

Try it on 10 first. With Bachman locos, the EZ Command system can run 8 with no booster. Athearns would probably be more like 5 or 6. That buzzing is the zero stretching, or in your case, lack therof. If you use address 10, you can see if the issue is the EZ Command, or DC controller.

racer25j

Oh I tried on 10 right off the bat but as soon as I throttled up, the engine hunched down like it was being sucked to the track and wouldn't move. I thought I had burned something out at first but I tried it on DC track and it ran fine. I guess it's no big deal.