B&O RF-16 ( Coal Drag )

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
On September 30 I caught a B&O RF-16, F7b, & GP38 pulling a coal drag downgrade from the coal tower. It was a small train but I don't know why there was three diesel units on it.

B&O RF-16
RF16.JPG

F7b
F7b.JPG

Chessie System ( B&O ) GP38
GP38.JPG

Empty Hopper ( It is on its was to Cumberland for painting )
GrayHopper.JPG

Crossing The Bridge
Bridge.JPG

Southern Pennsylvania Railroad Hopper ( From my previous railroad )
Bridgea.JPG

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Judging by the keystones, I assume the South Pennsylvania and LC&A are PRR subsidiaries. There was a real South Pennsylvania (though it never got completed) in the 19th century - a NYC subsidiary.

Just going on a tangent... :D

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Chessie6459 said:
On September 30 I caught a B&O RF-16, F7b, & GP38 pulling a coal drag downgrade from the coal tower. It was a small train but I don't know why there was three diesel units on it.

*snip*

Reminds me, I've been meaning to ask what the oddest lashup anyone has seen in the real world would be.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
LoudMusic said:
Reminds me, I've been meaning to ask what the oddest lashup anyone has seen in the real world would be.

i saw a picture of 10 locomotives of various types pulling 8 cars...

thanks to john ireland for the picture.

DSC_0139.JPG.45129.jpg

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
On September 30 I caught a B&O RF-16, F7b, & GP38 pulling a coal drag downgrade from the coal tower.
That lashup would be very unlikely in reality. The Baldwin wouldn't be able to MU with the EMDs, never mind that the B&O had retired all its Sharks before Chessie came around.
I haven't seen a lot of weird consists in person, but I can show you some real oddities. http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=2191 E8A/U33C/GP35?/E8A/E8A/E8A is odd enough. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=130070 This is odder, and one of my favorite railfan photos. GP30B/GP30/SD40-2/SD40-2/SD40-2/SD40-2. But the absolute oddest might be http://pc.smellycat.com/pics/eastern/pc4865rahway101770jt.jpg GG-1 and a diesel switcher I can't identify.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I know that the RF-16 units were retired. I had this locomotive for some time now I finally got around to getting it to run. The Chessie System did some weird looking lashups of locomotives. You would often see F7's, GP38's, and a few other locomotives lashed up pulling a train.

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
I have, on occation, seen 10+ UP SD units lashed up heading through my town pulling nothing at all.

Seems like I've seen a picture with a steam engine or two, and then four or five diesels from different manufactures all pulling the same train. I bet that's a bear to organize.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Triplex said:
That lashup would be very unlikely in reality. The Baldwin wouldn't be able to MU with the EMDs, never mind that the B&O had retired all its Sharks before Chessie came around. I haven't seen a lot of weird consists in person, but I can show you some real oddities. http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=2191 E8A/U33C/GP35?/E8A/E8A/E8A is odd enough. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=130070 This is odder, and one of my favorite railfan photos. GP30B/GP30/SD40-2/SD40-2/SD40-2/SD40-2. But the absolute oddest might be http://pc.smellycat.com/pics/eastern/pc4865rahway101770jt.jpg GG-1 and a diesel switcher I can't identify.

i think in that first picture that U33C is off to be repaired, its got a broken engineer's window.

that second one is nothing, i saw a picture of UP with a U50C, a GP35, a GP9 and GP9B. I think there was more to it, but i can't find it.

in that last one, that is an SW7 behind that GG1. i've seen another picture with an Also S2 behind a GG1 as well. I wonder why these units were tagging along?

L

lester perry

I didn't see this but read about it in C&O Historical society magazine. If memory serves correct there was a power shortage at Russell so 27 F7s and one caboose travel from northern Ohio to Russell Ky. That would be something to see.
Les

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
green_elite_cab said:
i think in that first picture that U33C is off to be repaired, its got a broken engineer's window.

that second one is nothing, i saw a picture of UP with a U50C, a GP35, a GP9 and GP9B. I think there was more to it, but i can't find it.

in that last one, that is an SW7 behind that GG1. i've seen another picture with an Also S2 behind a GG1 as well. I wonder why these units were tagging along?

Not actually known much about the operation of a train yard, I would speculate that the switcher was simply being relocated.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
WOW, that picture that GEC posted is really cool. That is alot of engines for only 8 cars. I wonder why they do that??

And all that green and orange piplines look so cool. Does anyone know where iy was taken or what the industrial buildings are in the backround?? I noticed some coal hoppers and boxcars.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
WOW, that picture that GEC posted is really cool. That is alot of engines for only 8 cars. I wonder why they do that??
They're moving the engines; only a couple of them will be running. Probably there's a power shortage in some area. Or maybe the engines were based away from a major shop, and they're being moved to one for maintenance?
that second one is nothing
It's not what engines are on the train, but in what order. A B-unit leading is very rare. But if you want a really odd UP consist, try http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=15514 SD40X/GP9B/DD35/U50C.

I don't have any pictures, but I know that in the late 70s, Ferrocarril del Pacifico ran long passenger trains with three or four C628s and a PA.
Did the Chessie ever paint F units in their colors, or did they retire them beforehand??
confused.gif
I haven't been able to find ANY pictures of it in real life, and only the bachmann model comes up on google!
I've wondered that - I've only seen models, too.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
TruckLover said:

And all that green and orange piplines look so cool. Does anyone know where iy was taken or what the industrial buildings are in the backround?? I noticed some coal hoppers and boxcars.

now that you bring it up, i think i've been there before, i'll have to check. suddenly that bridge looks familiar. I went on a trip to the USAF mueseum in 2000, (back when airplanes were the main focus of my modeling) and on the way back i think we were in virgina or somwhere near a river or something in the mountains. I remember because our Days Inn was across the street fromt eh tracks, and there were trains going by all night and day, i even saw some Chessie painted unites.

i can probably go back onto railpictures and find it.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
lester perry said:
I didn't see this but read about it in C&O Historical society magazine. If memory serves correct there was a power shortage at Russell so 27 F7s and one caboose travel from northern Ohio to Russell Ky. That would be something to see.
Les

Lester,I wonder if all those F units was needed for a power storage or was on the way to be retired? When I was working on the C&O under the CSX banner I saw a 22 unit consist of GP7/9/SW7s on the way to Russell for storage due to these units being retired.