B-747 Space Shuttle Transporter

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by hpept, Nov 12, 2005.

1. hpept

hpept Member

yes sir, 1:200 scale to match delta7studios space shuttle
  2. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Now to find a paper An-225, I've got a buran in the works, and a Mig-25 on a similar scale.
  3. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Did you say Buran? Where did you find one? :-D
  4. hpept

hpept Member

turbofan paper prototype

here are two pics of the 747 engine i modelled. It's built with a crappy 75 g/sqm paperstock, just to see if it was buildable. I think the fit is fine, although the model is upscaled to 1:66 circa (10cm total length). The intake looks interesting because it's not desolately hollow like in most part of cheap models around. When accurately textured with turbine blades it will look certainly more realistic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Hans Christian

Wow nice!!! Um, Do you plan to improve the whole fuselage? :-D
  6. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Its an experimental fiddlersgreen repaint of mine,I sent it to FG an hour ago.
    8)
  7. Hans Christian

Uhuh I see! :-D
  8. hpept

hpept Member

upper deck

here is a screen shot of the 747-100 upper deck modeled in blender. I think more or less i caught the shape. Now i'll have to import into pepakura to see how it builds. Unfortunately i ran out of ink (and money too) so don't know when i will test build it.
    [​IMG]
  9. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

I also did the FG Enterprise.
  10. modelincard

modelincard Member

Nice Enterprise (although it does say Doscovery on the side[​IMG]). On the subject of Enterprise, did anybody else notice that it is missing some of its leading edge tiles? I saw it over the summer. It's in the Udvar Hazee (I know I spelled that wrong; I can't pronounce it right anyway) Center.
  11. hpept

hpept Member

aerodynamic tail

hi guys, just finished to mesh the aerodynamic tail of the space shuttle. I don't like very much the shape but since i couldn't find a suitable 3 views of this part, all i could do was to guess its shape from the photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I tried to keep it as simple as possible since pepakura can't manage complex shapes without messing up everything (or maybe it's me....)

UPDATE: here below a screenshot of the model as unfolded by pepakura ( after a lot of cut & join...)
    [​IMG]

:)
  12. hpept

hpept Member

tail cone paper prototype

here finally goes the first trial prototype of the shuttle tail cone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    shape is not 100% accurate due to the weak paper i usually build prototypes (i didn't provide any internal frame because once the piece will be attached to the orbiter it will be stiff enough to don't bend) but it gives a reasonable idea. Just compare the result with the cad screenshot... I'm pretty happy with the result cause construction is extremely easy for such rather complex shape. It took no more than half an hour to cut and assemble it.
  13. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

The tail cone is looking good. Have you tested your fix of the 747 body part?
  14. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

I wanted to fix that,but apparently my computer doesn't want me too. :(
  15. hpept

hpept Member

Not yet. This is what i'll try to do now. But i'm in doubt on hov to proceed. Since the 747 model i have came in an odd 1:280 scale, i don't know if it's better to fit the deck on this model and then enlarge everything, or first enlarge the model to 1:200 scale and THEN fit the deck and the other parts (don't forget about the engines). And more, should i do the paintwork on the small model or do it on the enlarged one? Please consider that the enlarged model fuselage won't fit on an A4 sheet, so i'll have to split it and maybe doing the paintwork (which is simple, but i'm not very good at using photoshop) on a split model is more difficult... any hints?
  16. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I am working on a repaint of the GPM B-52D model. Besides repainting it, I also need to do some body work on it. However, I have found doing the redraw of the body lines is, at least for me, easier if done in TurboCAD. I can measure distances easily, which helps line up fuselage breaks in the squiggley paint job. I simply measure the distance from a known point on one side and make sure, since the matching part will be the same size, that the line starts at the same point on the other part. I hope this makes sense.

As for fitting the deck, I would venture to say you may have fewer problems if you scale the aircraft to 1:200, then design the deck to fit that scaled up model. I think it is always best to work at the scale you plan to build in. When the B-52 repaint is finished, I plan to build at 1:100 scale and that is the scale I am redrawing at. I just reduce the pages to the required size.

Whichever way you decide to go, I am looking forward to seeing the final product.
  17. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Buran files

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For those who want them, fix them as needed to suit your tastes
  18. Hans Christian

NEAT!!!! Thanks for sharing sir!!! :-D
  19. Hans Christian

Um, any prevs for the SCA? :-D
  20. hpept

hpept Member

deck prototype

Here is the result of the redesigned upper deck applied to the fuselage. As it was suggested, i enlarged the model to 1:200 (which is the final scale of the project) and then did the fit of the modeled deck to the existing fuselage. The result is pretty good. See the difference below:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now i'm not really satisfied with the rest of the fuselage. I'm tempted to redo all the work but i'm afraid to embark in an enterprise far beyond my skills.
    here below another 3/4 view of the conversion job.
    [​IMG]