B-747 Space Shuttle Transporter

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by hpept, Nov 12, 2005.

1. hpept

hpept Member

Hi all,
    i would like to communicate that one of my next projects, will be the construction of the Space Shuttle "riding" the NASA B-747. For this, i will design the rear aerodynamic cone for drag reduction by myself. I was wondering if a suitable model (1:200) of the B-747 already exists as a baseline to go on with conversion (free model if possible :grin:). Found some models on the net, but they are basically children toys. Any suggestion? The best i could find is the JAL B747-400 in a very odd scale (1:280 more or less) but it needs alot of work, and more the pdf file is locked and i can't edit it, so i'll have to find a workaround (like printing and scanning, or use some fake printer driver that redirects the output to a file).
    Stay tuned in the next weeks if you're interested. Any help or encouraging word is more than welcome.

Attached Files:

2. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

3. patriot missile

patriot missile Member

there are no free models of the 747 in that scale that are free on the net:(
    the only 747 model that would mate up to the shuttle would be a Schreiber 747-200. if you buy that from a card model site all you have to do is repaint the tail and paint over the Lufthansa name below the upper deck windows:)
  4. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

OMG!!!! First the SRB/ET, and now this!!! PLEASE DO IT!!! :wink:
  5. hpept

hpept Member

Last night i roughly built the JAL 747 to see how it was coming out, and i must admit that is better than i thought. I think it worths to work on it a little to improve some poorly designed parts as the upper deck (which is the elongated -300 version) and the engine nacelles. Wings also may need a retouch as they seem to be lacking in thickness.
    Paint work will be the smallest of the problems, since the NASA 747 has a very simple scheme and the logo on the vertical fin can be easily found around. I'm more worried about obtaining the correct shape. What i'm still missing is a plan view of the wings to see the actual colour scheme. From what i can see, they should be natural metal on the leading and trailing edge, and light grey on the upper profile. Anybody can confirm it or give me hints on where to find some nice pics?
  6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

8. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

The SCA has gone through a variety of color schemes. The first version used in test flights with the shuttle Enterprise was mostly a natural metal color. Later versions had a white upper half and a repainted tail. Rick's last link, the googled search, will show a lot of photo and the variety of color schemes. In any case, an SCA and shuttle combination will be a great model.

A couple of months after I moved into my off-base apartment in San Antonio, Texas, I was sitting on the balcony enjoying a beer and the nice weather when I heard an aircraft approach. My apartment sat just north of the main approach to Kelly AFB. As I looked up to see what it was, I was both pleased and shocked to see the SCA with the shuttle Colombia on it on final. Since I started in cardmodeling, this combination has been a goal of mine to make...that and a B-52H and KC-135A refueling combination.
  9. hpept

hpept Member

thanx alot for the precious indications. in the attached picture is shown a mixup of a 747-400 body with the NASA livery (hand painted very roughly). I need to change the upper deck to the short version (a different desing since the kit curvature is not satisfactory for a 400 either). The other thing to do is to change the engines (which ends are 2D) and update the turbofan covers to a more realistic one, and to add the additional vertical stabilizers at the ends of the tailplane. Pretty easy, huh?

Attached Files:

10. hpept

hpept Member

after observing the photos you guys have indicated, i've noticed that the orbiter is considerably dirty after the reentry, showing heavy discoloration of the black protective tiles and alot of burns along the white tiles. I've decided to add a touch of realism by adequately weathering the model. Here are two small samples. More to come.

Attached Files:

11. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

I have some pictures of the 747 with the Shuttle Discovery on her back. These were taken this year when she stopped by Altus AFB on her way home. I will get them loaded later today.
  12. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Here are the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

what a great project!!! looks like she is coming out great.
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

The weathering looks great!

Look at Dave's pictures and you will notice that the "burn" pattern on the side of the shuttle is very distinctive. The area directly above the wings has almost no scortch marks, and the marks correspond to the high angle of attack that the shuttle has to take on it brick-like glide path!

john
  15. Hans Christian

Um, I'm building the 1/100 Marscenter Atlantis here, and I should ask how to weather it, because my model's surface will be covered by a mix of different textures of paper to properly represent the TPS, should I use pastels? Chalks? or some other media?
  16. hpept

hpept Member

Hello Hans Christian. Great choice of model. I built one a couple of years ago and it's a very challenging model. Here two pics shot at a Modelling Contest in Pisa, Italy in october 2004.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    About the weathering, as you can see i chose to represent it directly over the model so that once it's printed no additional work is required. As a plastic modeler, i can give you some advices about weathering a model. I use oil colours for washing to reproduce rust, dirt and all the stains you can think of. Paper models can be a problems due to the medium, which would absorbe the thinner (white petrol) and leave a stain with an evident edge instead of blending. I can suggest to spray the model with a gloss lacquer before proceeding with weathering to impermeabilize it, and then spray another layer of matt lacquer if required. I think that also crayons could be employed to obtain a nice effect (for large areas, where only a light effect is required, i suggest to grind a little of the colour and to smear the surface of the model with your finger very lightly. If correctly applied this technique allows to obtain effects comparable with an aerograph). I've never tried to use chalk powder, but i know that it requires a special care because it doesn't actually stick to the surface, suffers fingerprints (use latex gloves to manipulate the model) and with time it tends to fly away if not fixed with a spray lacquer. Hope this helps.
  17. Hans Christian

Wow!!! Nice Shuttle!!!

Well, I'm not really satisfied with just printed detail alone, I also want to make the textures of the TPS right, fortunately, I now have all of the different paper textures required to do it :-D

Like you sir, I'm also a plastic modeler, but up till now, I haven't done any weathering yet :-D
  18. hpept

hpept Member

turbofan

as i previously said, i'm not satisfied with the reproduction of the four turbines of the 747. I decided to move to a 3d software and design it my own.
    [​IMG]
    here is a screen capture of blender, showing a turbofan. Maybe the detail is too much for such a small part, but i will see it later when exporting to pepakura. I hope everything will go the right way, since this is my first serious project involving modelling a part and exporting it to pepakura.
  19. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Good looking turbine. What is the scale you plan to use? 1:200?
  20. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

I look forward to it! :twisted: