B-25 Alpha build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Texman, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hopefull this is a better pic........:oops:

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hack my butt! This looks great John. If this is "hacking" Hackaway John!
  3. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I thought your hand grew substantially but realize this is a second fuselage. It looks great. You have definitely captured the soul of the plane.
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Well....................... how about this one

Attached Files:

5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I just wanted to check in on the "true" King of tiny!
    Ray, your work always impresses me...nice clean build...even with your boo boo!:grin: Looks good.
  6. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

OH! and John, your build looks pretty darn good too!:grin:
  7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looking good guys, My hats off to you, esp the small scale version. Can't wait for the final with all the bells and whistles!
  8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Looks good John. I'm guessing fit was okay? You may want to knock out the little squares in your wing frame cause the front spar is swept back a little. The middle spar is perpendicular to the fuselage but the front and rear are not.
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Will............ figures on the support........... I always overdo it:oops:

Fit is pretty good..........nothing was un-doable.........the change in line thickness was a surprise.

All in all it's going together pretty good........... that is if I don't add in things I don't need.:grin:
  10. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Sorry about that line thickness, a holdover habit from the corsair I always changed all the line thickness to hairline but for some reason didn't on the first batch of pages and then did on the second.

Do you think that the frame needs more stiffening? I can certainly add it if necessary. My target group is teenagers. The model is supposed to be a good compromise between detail and easy to build kind of like Nobi's models I guess.
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Personnally I liked the thicker line, it's easier for me to cut more acurately. But that's one of those "Which do you like best things?................ chocolate or vanilla":grin:

Number of formers for the fuselage are sufficient. I did build this like Nobi's models, with seperate connecting tabs and put the formers in after the glue has dried in order to get the correct shape.

Cockpit and nose parts may need to be openned up more in order to allow more space for glue tabs.

But again these are minor things............I should tackle the wing stubs and engine cowlings tomorrow.

john
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well Ray also seemed to like the thicker lines (they may be giving him major fits by the time he scales it down:oops: ) so I will send the rest when its done with thicker lines. Also Ray if you need me to I can change the lines for you if you need them thicker.
  13. Texman

Texman Guest

Will,

I think the fuselage formers are fine as well. However, I am usually not the
    "strip around the former type", I usually just make two copies of the formers,
    then inset them into the sections and strip join those. But I'm trying your
    recommended way, and it is working. Yes Will, I would GREATLY appreciate
    the new thicker parts. The single pixel cutting line is giving me some fits.
    Hence, no pics with the new parts yet! Everything is fitting like a glove and
    lining up perfectly. I can't wait for the colored release version.
    Oh yeah, just to make you feel a little better about the kit, (like I really need to do that!)
    this is my first twin build!.

Ray
  14. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

She looks really good, guys! It's interesting to see an alpha build of a new design. Thanks for posting photos of your progress guys.

Cheers!
    Jim
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Okay Ray you should have the revised sheets by now.

Okay don't laugh at me people cause this is going to sound really dumb but I thought test building was the beta build. I can understand Alpha being the first letter in the Greek alphabet would apply to the first test build but I always thought of Alpha as the greatest or best. So would the Beta build be when the designer thinks everything is done and has someone build it to check for bugs and then when the model goes on the market anyone who builds it is doing a Gamma build?
  16. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Not a dumb question, I've had that question of designation from time to time myself and would be interested to learn what the collective understanding is as well. What you said makes sense, though.

Cheers!
    Jim
  17. Texman

Texman Guest

No, it's not a dumb question. To me, in my mind, the alpha build would be
    the beginning. Hence, as this is the first series of builds, it would be the alpha build. The beta build, to me, is after it is colored and marked, the model being built to confirm the alignment of markings and the alignment of the camoflage segments. As part of the beta, it would also be a review by the builder of the instructions, checking for completeness, missing parts or part numbers, etc.

At least, that's generally the way I, Ray Smith, view it.

Ray
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I agree with Ray, since this is a work in progress, aka all parts have not be completed, I consider it an Alpha build too. Beta is when the designer has finished and is letting someone check build to see if there is a flaw or error that has been missed. Mis numbered parts.............stuff like that.

This could actually be an alpha Beta build.

Will................... Like Ray, and I guess everyone else, I have a certain way I build, or a certain style if you will. It's they way I started and just went from there. But as I said I use the separate connectors ads glue both pieces together then fit the inside former after the joint has dried.

The Butt glue joint that Carl uses are harder for me because I didn't start that way. The tab glued to the former style is the same way.

I guess I am an Old Dog, set in his ways............ but converting this to the style I like was not very hard and so far has not caused any major problems with assembling the model. So I guess what I'm saying is its nice to know that the model is designed well enough to be converted to what ever technique a person like to build with:grin:

I too think the thicker lines would be better for beginners especially if that is the market this is going for.

Anyway........... thanks for letting me help this has been a fun project so far, and I too think this was something that MUST be done because this too is one of my favorite planes.........after it's finished for Ryan, maybe we can make up some solid nose versions and I also like to have a Navy PBJ version:grin:

john
  19. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Just thought I'd let you guys know I'm going out of town and won't be back till Thursday.
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Will.......... Hope it's not an emergency, and is a fun trip............

Here are some pics of the engine (left)........... had to remove the first wing skins because I put them on upside down:oops: so I only had time to complete one engine............. it went together pretty good.

Attached Files: