AXM's SHUTTLE M.L.P Build 1/96

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by londonbluemisty, Feb 21, 2008.

1. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

WOW...I hope that you are saving these designs. I want to make one of the Crawlers in the 1/96 scale and you are just blowing it away. It is amazing to say the least. Would it be possible to get these designs in the future? I would really like to use them and make my Crawler (when I get my other work out of the way) as detailed and as breath taking as this magnificant piece of art. Thanks for sharing.
  2. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

SSME's Deck and Removable top rails!!

Hi to All:wave:

Quick update on how my MLP is Progressing.

Fitted the lower rails on to the SSME's deck and fitted it to the MLP.
    I have made and fitted all the Rollout removable guards and handrails.
    Also added the SRB guards and walkway.

Wayne

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      260.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      175 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      181.3 KB
      Views:
    • 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      154.7 KB
      Views:
  3. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I can see a SRB in one of the photos.
  4. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Why did you pick STS-117 as your topic?

Excellent build by the way...really cool

John John
  5. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

You sure can Paul:twisted:
    Imagine if after adding all this detail,I come to place STS117 ontop and IT DID NOT FITwall1
    Made the bottom of one just to check on placement and fitting

Wayne
  6. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

I was going to build SIR Alfonso's Crawler/MLP/Space Shuttle anyway.
    It just seemed obvious to choose the mission I got to see while on holiday in Florida.:mrgreen:

Wayne

Attached Files:

7. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

8. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

ahhh I get ya

Good enough reason as any,

I say 115's lift off from the roof of MCO and tried again and succeeded in seeing 120 from the causeway, very cool indeed

Continued success with your build

John John
  9. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

I know that the STS117 mission was only carrying the S3/S4 truss to the ISS,But it was personal to me and I think that is what modelling is all about.
    It will be a little reminder to me of a great time in Florida.:mrgreen:
    Plus the External Tank had the hail storm repair so it will be a bit different from the standard tank.(You can just make out the repair in the photo, righthand side of tank):cool:

Wayne
  10. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

You, sir, are doing a fantastic job, adding so much details :eek:

Your M.L.P. is a very masterpiece. :thumb:

I can't wait to see the next steps.

Compliments, Nando
  11. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

small update

Couple of little things added.
    SRB Barriers made and fitted,I have used wire to simulate the chain.
    Same again I have used wire to simulate the the chain guard for the SSME deck walkway.
    Also noticed on STS117 photo's that 'MLP2' is written on the rear of the blast deck access door:confused:
    So I have added that aswell.
    Started to make the SRB's so I will post a couple of pictures soon showing them in place:twisted:

Next Up: Perimeter Top Rails

Wayne

Attached Files:

12. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Update!!!

Sorry for the lack of updates but I have had one thing after another to deal with!!wall1wall1
    Our home computer crashed and could not be brought back:cry:
    After many weeks of going forwards and backwards to the local computer shop,we accepted defeat and purchased a new one.:curse:
    Luckily we save all our data to an external HDD (so no precious paper model files lost.:mrgreen:)
    Anyway enough about my problems!!
    Finally back to Modelling.
    I am giving the MLP a break to recharge myself with it,so I have moved on to my Atlantis STS117 build.
    As you can see from the photo's I have completed the SRB's.
    At 1/96 Scale SIR Alfonso's SRB's measure 48.5cm tall.
    With Adobe Illustrator I removed the Drawn Tie-Down Bolt Brackets and Separation Motor Block and Nozzles and added Bill Spencer's 1/96 designed parts.
    The last photo shows my current build,the External Tank.
    I have a few more details to add before I will glue it to the SRB's and post some more photo's

Wayne

Attached Files:

13. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I thought we had lost you. Sorry to here about the compouter problems. You've come back with a bang, those SRB's look nice.
  14. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Hmm, just wondering what happened with this build. been a couple of months since we've heard of it. Londonbluemisty, do you have the sheets for this model at this scale? I am sure many people would want to have this model. I know I would. and I might be able to fit my Shuttle stack on it. I hope you do. and I hope to see how this project is going. :D
  15. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi Underwoodl06,:wave:

I have been taking a break with this build to recharge myself with it.:oops:
    As you can see from P.O.T.W I have been building a few other things to keep myself entertained!!
    Reading a few of SIR Alfonso's posts he is going to design a more detailed 1/100 shuttle than his current 1/144 scale.
    I have printed off his current designed Atlantis STS117 rescaled from 1/144 to 1/96 but it does lack certain detailing that other 1/96's have.
    I wish to keep my STS117 Rollout build all SIR Alfonso,s so I might wait and see if he is to release anything after his brilliant I.S.S.
    I still have the Crawler Transporter to build(Which is printed and waiting).
    In answer to your question about sheets I have crude PDF files on the parts I designed (SSME's Deck & Removable ladders and Railings) but for the rest I just printed SIR Alfonso's 1/144 files(enlarged 150% with Adobe Illustrator to get 1/96.)

Wayne
  16. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Darn...I have no idea how I could do that then unless I go to a store (Staples, Office Depot etc) to have the prints enlarged...would that work?
  17. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Hi Underwoodl06,:wave:

I still use standard cardstock to print onto(A4 UK size),
    Look at the two photos.
    On the left is a Sir Alfonso's 1/144 print and on the right is my resized 1/96, I just move the images around to get them to fit on :mrgreen:
    If you have a resize/rescale program on your computer then you should be able to resize images quite easily.
    Like I said earlier I use Adobe Illustrator which I think is what SIR Alfonso uses to create his fantastic designs.
    If not,start a new thread to see if anyone knows of a free downloadable program to resize PDF files:twisted:

Wayne

Attached Files:

18. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Unfortunately My parents dont let me download things just out of the blue. and I don't have any resizing programs. Would you happen to have a picture of the MLP pages you printed? and what are the dimensions of the MLP? I need to find a space in my room to put it if I build it.
    I am planning this as a future build, as I am currently working on the ISS, but right now as it is on hold until Alfonso releases more, I am just about to finish up Fortezza's Challenger and then I plan on working on either Ton's Voyager or HST model, seeing as Voyager 1 has just reached the edge of the solar system, and Hubble is about to be serviced for the last time in a couple of months.
    At this point in time, I have to find a way to safely hang the ISS model as it is too heavy and I am going to have to hang Voyager and Hubble once I get them completed. I am just out of space right now. and one thing I have to think about is what to do with all of my models if I decide to join the military or go to college. I have alot to do about these models. haha..
    well before this becomes a novel of a response I will check back in later.
  19. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

Sorry, I do not have any pictures,only ones that are on this thread already:oops:.
    As for size,my first post here said what the size of the MLP was:500mm x 425mm x83mm.
    Full height I do not know yet.I have not built the Crawler Transporter,but the SRB's are 485mm Tall.
    It is quite a large model but I use 1/96 scale for all my realspace (even Sir Alfonso's I.S.S will be 1/96)
    I plan to have this STS117 displayed next to my Apollo 11 Saturn V LUT rollout(Still to be Started wall1)

P.S Which version of the Hubble are you planning to build??:twisted:

Wayne
  20. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

I plan on building the version that (i believe but not totally sure) wedge is building, with interior.

How do you plan on making the LUT? That is also one model I would like to make at a good scale.