AXM International Space Station

Discussion in 'Space & Aeronautics' started by Hans Christian, Feb 12, 2008.

1. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Very clean build. The russian modules look excellent.
  2. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Thanks for the great comments sir John and sir Paul! :-D

Well, the Russian modules now look a bit weathered, mainly due to five years exposure to dust and some moisture, and some handling... :-D

But they still look well for my purposes... :-D
  3. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

Ok wait a second....how did you keep those P6 solar arrays so straight?????
  4. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

I was going to ask the same thing. I am glad that the ISS is finally becoming a complete model, it will be spectacular to show off to anyone, and I love the reactions when they ask how it's made. I just can't wait. :D
  5. Hans Christian

I thought somebody would ask that one... hehe!!! :-D

The P-6 truss PVAs were my biggest headache during cosntruction of the component...

I used normal OHP films (for inkjet printers) for the telescopic booms, then used CA glue to make them (they don't really fog the plastic at all, the fogging only appeared when I used the connector box to join the 2 pieces of the telescopic booms).

then I wrapped clear tape to the whole assembly for extra rigidity to support the weight.

But that's not the real trick here... the key is in the 4 solar panels themselves.

On the MARSCenter instruction manual, you are instructed to use the cardboard "sandwich" reinforcement for the solar panels (the ones found on sheet 7 & 8 ), but for this one, I didn't use them at all... I just glued the panels together with some paper strips to join the pieces of the panels to make the whole unit... This eliminates the heavy load done by the cardboard reinforcement, which makes the panels sag...

The resulting panels would be very flimsy, but lightweight, which brings us to the next step to make them straight...

Glue the panels to the canister frames, then insert the telescopic boom into the hole of one of the canister frames and glue it to the other one on the opposite side. NOTE: USE CA GLUE ON THIS ONE: before you glue the telescopic boom into the hole, push it in a little, in a manner that will induce tension to the solar panels, then secure the boom with CA glue.

The result will be the inner side of the panels (near the telescopic boom) will be taut, but the outer side will be sagging...

to finally make the whole PVA straight, here's the trick...

Cut a rectangular piece of illustration board (or any (very) thick cardboard) that is longer than the PVA unit (but not too long, around 30% longer will do, I think...). This will act as a jig. Then orient the PVA so that the sunlight collecting side will face downward. Bend that thick cardboard jig and jam it onto the raised edges of the PVA canister frames.

The jig will leave you with all sides of the panels taut. and from here you will add the final pieces. Get a good roll of 0.025 diameter stainless steel wire (so that it won't rust over time), and cut 4 straight (and I mean STRAIGHT, if not, make them straight) pieces with lengths equal to the length of the solar panels. Then use CA glue to attach them to the sides of the panels (NOTE: don't glue the wire just on the ends, glue the entire length of the wire to the solar panel side)

Then leave them to dry overnight to ensure that the CA glue hardens. And finally, after all of that, remove the cardboard jig, and you are left with perfectly straight PVA units.

I also didn't follow the instructions on how to assemble the mountings in the finished PVAs. I used the method that is similar to the one sir Alfonso used on his P-6 truss.

The effort proved to be great, its (practically) almost non-existent... The solar panels don't sag at all due to the support of the wire and glue, with the telescopic booms being the only one that shows the load of the PVA, but still just very slightly...

BTW, you can also try it with sir Alfonso's PVAs, and it has an added benefit for being smaller, since sagging will be eliminated completely... :-D

The technique I used may sound complicated, but don't worry guys, once sir Alfonso launches STS-115, I'll make another set, and I'll still be using the PVAs of the MARSCenter ISS (to keep things consistent), and I'll demostrate the method in pictures :-D
  6. Hans Christian

Part 3-1

Ok here comes the next set of pics that I've uploaded :-D

(what I've been waiting to add since the build started :-D )

STS-98 update

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next: Part 3-2 (AXM STS-98 key updates) :-D
  7. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

A fantastic build of teh greatest kit on the face of the planet

well done

John John
  8. Hans Christian

Thanks sir!!!

part 3-2 of the post will follow in a few hours :-D
  9. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Fantastic, and your idea about using the Marscenter PVs, I thought of the same thing, I also see that you also used the Gyro cover from Alfonso's model for your model. :D
    It fits snugly over mine. I can't wait to start working outward when the Trusses are released. I think the station gets significant character when the solar panels are added. Almost makes it look more flightworthy.

(on a side note, the Mythbusters proved the moonlanding myth, It was real and hte conspirasts were wrong)
  10. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Hans, I also have a question about the conicle sections of the US modules, When I made mine, instead of being uniform on all sides, one side tended to tilt one way. Did you run into this problem? if so How did you fix it. If not, how do you make your conicle sections specifically?

If you get confused by the way this is worded just let me know.
  11. Hans Christian

I agree that the ISS models will get a big detail boost when the rest of the ITS comes up :-D

Um... about the conical sections... I didn't ran into any problems when gluing those... maybe the circular disc formers you glued there are a bit too wide... I usually cut away the line that define the circle former, then test fit, and trim if it doesn't go well before gluing...

I make the conical sections in the usual way we do them. Cut them from the sheets, curl them with a round object to achive the cone shape, add the formers if needed, test fit and finally glue it...

Good thing the guys at M5 and M7 trashed the claims of conspiracy theorists!!! :-D
  12. Hans Christian

Part 3-2

The STS-98 update was also the time I started to add key details that came from none other than the resident STS and ISS program guru sir Alfonso! :-D

[​IMG]

MARSCenter Destiny (BTW, I used the same 5 year old PMA 2, it wasn't glued to Unity's FWD cone, only held in place by its gluing tabs)

[​IMG]

The first key detail from sir Alfonso; the relocated SASA (S-Band Antenna Support Assembly) that came from his Z-1 truss

[​IMG]

If you noticed, I used sir Alfonso's EETCS radiators from his P-6 truss, 'cause I think they look better :-D

[​IMG]

Another one from sir Alfonso; the second SASA that was flown with Destiny

[​IMG]

PMA 1 MDMs

[​IMG]

Destiny's PDGF

[​IMG]

Z-1 CMG thermal cover

next set of pics will show the STS-102 update :-D
  13. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

Hans, I really enjoy that you are combining the only two ISS models available out there. I Think that Alfonso's and Fortezza's models mix almost perfectly, and I am glad that they do, otherwise we'd have a big problem for Houston to sort out. :D
  14. Hans Christian

Thanks man!!!

Actually, sir Alfonso is the reason the MARSCenter ISS model I have here is still alive... if it weren't for his efforts... the model may have collected dust and rot in my shelf...

but then again, the model has some sentimental value to me because it was the first model I built as a college student... so I need to keep it alive until it's finally completed :-D
  15. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

All of the models we make a sentiment in some way or another, plus, we put time and effort into them and it would be great to see that time last. :D
  16. Hans Christian

...and it would be a waste to let it be destroyed... ;)
  17. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

18. Hans Christian

Part 4-1 STS-102 updates (which was done just last month):-D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

next set - part 4-2-1
  19. Hans Christian

Part 4-2-1 STS-102 additions 2 :-D

[​IMG]

Destiny with Lab Cradle Assembly, External Stowage Platform - 1 with Pump & Flow Control Subassembly

[​IMG]

Relocated PMA 3

next: parts 4-2-2 upto 4-3-2 :-D
  20. underwoodl06

underwoodl06 Member

It is coming along great Hans, It looks really great!!
    How did you attach PMA3 to the Port Hatch on Unity? I have no idea how you get it to stick to the hatch, I have tried but it just doesn't want to fit in the hatchway.
    And I see that you have ESP1 on Destiny. Nice work.
    Now where did you get the piece ontop of Destiny?
    So many Questions, Sorry to take your time.
    :D